Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Very new Pig owner!

Guinness75

Cavy Slave
Hello! I have my first Pig and he is awesome! I never considered a pig for a pet before as I've had dogs most of my life. My dog past away in January and I was heart broken. It was not the right time for a new dog but I needed a fury friend so my partner suggested a pig.
I am fascinated with Gus and love building things for him and making him happy!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!! We'd love to see pigtures of Gus and his cage :) Have you considered adopting him a friend?

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! I've always had dogs too...I still have a few, but fell in love with piggies when we got one for our niece for her birthday in November. I started doing some research and realized her pig needed a friend and then we ended up with a couple pigs of our own by the end of last year too :) We can't wait to see pics of Gus!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Woah, my dog passed away in January '10, and I didn't feel ready to get another animal so that is why I got my Piggies....... Similar stories, eh?

Anywho, welcome to the forum!

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Hallo there! I'm a cavy newbie too but so utterly utterly smitten by them I can't imagine life without them. I'm agreeing with arionat799, have you thought about adopting him a cagemate? Guinea pigs really do flourish with company, especially if you're out in the day.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Aren't piggies great? Very different from dogs but so full of life and with such amazing personalities. Can't wait to see a picture of Gus.

Guinness75

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone... I have thought of getting a friend for Gus but my partner doesnt think we have room for another pig. I'm working on it!
Here is what I have constructed so far for my little man. I made a closed cage as we are dog sitting for a friend right now and I do plan on getting another dog in time. I need to make a larger hay rack for Gus as he eats a tonne of it! I am always filling it up... And boy does he protest when it is getting low!

Very new Pig owner!Very new Pig owner!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
That's a nice cage but it looks like you have Gus on pine bedding. Please make sure it is kiln-dried pine as non kiln-dried can cause respiratory problems.

Guinness75

Cavy Slave
The bedding is actually recycled paper bedding... the picture was taken from my phone so it's a little fuzzy.

Guinness75

Cavy Slave
These pictures are a little clearer!

Very new Pig owner! Very new Pig owner!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Awwww so cute! :) Is that a mineral wheel/salt lick? Guineas don't need them and they can cause medical problems down the road.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Gus is adorable! I use fleece for my bedding, but I tried that Clean & Cozy litter in the kitchen and loved the no dust factor...but it stuck to every inch of my pigs and flew all over out of the cage. It is nice and soft though too :)

I love that his cage is set up like an apartment, with a little privacy wall!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.