Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Possibly Saving A Piggie From An Irresponsible Family Member

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
To make a long story short......

My cousin has been getting into a lot of trouble. She is 16 years old.

The last time I saw her was around Christmas. I was planning on getting a Piggy already by then. At our family's Christmas party, she was there and brought up a Guinea Pig. We kept talking about it. I found out:

The pig was housed in a small store bought cage.

I asked if it was getting Vitamin C. The answer: "Oh you mean like drops in the water? Yah I did that but it was getting to expensive"

I lastly asked the sex and the name. HER name is Lila (I believe, it has been a while)

___

Since then, my cousin and her family have moved to a new house. Well, my Aunt is really close with my cousin, and I guess she went over to see the new house and the Guinea Pig was OUTSIDE. IN WINTER. FOR A WEEK. She was so mad she ranted to the family and they kicked her out of the house. This was passed on to me, and since the pig has been brought in the house.

Now, in the last month, my cousin robbed a party store. She was too young (?) to be put in jail, and was instead enrolled into a youth home for 15 days. During this time, the Guinea Pig was not cared for at all, and her parents say "OH MAN I HATE THAT THING IT IS SO STUPID" (Stupid is a lot nicer than what they actually said)

My Aunt let me know of all of this, and asked me if I was willing to take another pig. I am, and I am not at the same time. I want to go and see the pig now that my cousin is out of the youth home. The pig has survived all of this and is still alive, luckily.

So, I think I am going to go and see the pig tomorrow or Tuesday. I want to see it before I make any judgement that it isn't being cared for at all. I am somewhat reluctant-- My cousin is a know-it-all, and will say that she is taking the best care of it ever. So, I can't just give her advice on how to take care of it. Her parents want to get rid of it. She doesn't.

Even though she can't give it adequate, or nearly adequate care like I could.

___

I needed a place to share my thoughts with people, and ask for advice.

Questions:

What would YOU do? I am willing to take in the pig, and have a quarantine cage that I can set up (the biggest pet store cage)

How could I extend my 2x4 to a 2x5? Would I have to get a whole new sheet of Coroplast, or just snip off of the one that I have and make a new side?

___

Thank you so much! I would love to do this Piggy a big favor!

:)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
This girl is underage. Her parents need to make the decision. Obviously, this girl is having a lot of problems, and does not need to be taking care of an animal. (That's a place to start.) If this animal is being abused, and they won't give it to you, then call the humane society or local rescues and see what they suggest. Try not to lay blame or make accusations, just make the offer to take it. You could even offer to "foster" it for a while till things get better, and hope they forget about it, or decide they really like not being bothered with it's care.

Sorry, can't help with the cage thing.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If you're willing to take her in and your aunt is offering her, it would be really great if you could rescue that poor thing. I would quarantine her once you bring her home.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
If you're willing to take her in and your aunt is offering her, it would be really great if you could rescue that poor thing. I would quarantine her once you bring her home.

I am willing to take in the pig, and have a quarantine cage that I can set up (the biggest pet store cage)

:)

MissJean

Cavy Slave
If they'd let you take it, I'd do it. I'd feel guilty knowing there was a suffering animal that I had the ability to take in and save, when no one else will. That's something that would haunt me.

You don't have to keep the pig forever, but you'd be better equipped to find a better home for it since you have an understanding of a proper home. I second the quarantine advice.

So if you can do it and the parents will allow you to- I highly encourage you to do so.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
If they'd let you take it, I'd do it. I'd feel guilty knowing there was a suffering animal that I had the ability to take in and save, when no one else will. That's something that would haunt me.

You don't have to keep the pig forever, but you'd be better equipped to find a better home for it since you have an understanding of a proper home. I second the quarantine advice.

So if you can do it and the parents will allow you to- I highly encourage you to do so.

Thanks!

Also, I may have not explained this thoroughly. I want to get the pig, personally. My parents are a bit worried that "my pigs won't get along with the new one" but that isn't true, is it? If I do introductions correctly, the only problem we may have would have to do with dominance and such. I really do and will save the pig if I get my cage situation figured out. I can switch to a 2x5, but that's where it'll have to stay-- I don't have room for much else. But, a 2x5 is the minimum, so it will do.

I really would like to know how to extend the cage, though.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I would take the pig as well. Ditto that the girl in question is underage and since her parents don't seem to care for the poor pig, they should have no problem giving it up to you.

I would approach them and mention it as you being willing to take the pig off their hands. I wouldn't mention anything about inadequate care or lack of knowledge as that is likely to put them on the defensive.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I would take the pig as well. Ditto that the girl in question is underage and since her parents don't seem to care for the poor pig, they should have no problem giving it up to you.

I would approach them and mention it as you being willing to take the pig off their hands. I wouldn't mention anything about inadequate care or lack of knowledge as that is likely to put them on the defensive.

True, I have had the same thoughts on what to say/how to approach them about the pig.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Even if they don't get along, you could foster the pig while you find a suitable home and she will be in a much better situation than her current one. I'd strongly recommend getting the pig out of the situation she's currently in.

I'd approach it simply from a selfish standpoint - tell them you need another pig as a companion to yours and this seems like the easiest/cheapest route. If they're halfway reasonable, they'll see it as a win-win.

pinky

Cavy Slave
As far as the coroplast, you could get another piece to extend it. You'd have to tape in on the outside so they don't eat the tape. You could overlap it so you wouldn't have any leakage under the cage.....

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
As far as the coroplast, you could get another piece to extend it. You'd have to tape in on the outside so they don't eat the tape. You could overlap it so you wouldn't have any leakage under the cage.....

In other words, take out what I currently have (my 2x4 box) and make a 2x5? Also, I would tape at first to hold everything together, and then when I have the box all constructed, use some hot glue to seal it and only use tape on the outside. That is what I am doing now.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
In other words, take out what I currently have (my 2x4 box) and make a 2x5?

No, I think she meant get another piece of coroplast (doesn't have to be big) and overlap it with your current 2X4 sheet, to extend it a little.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
No, I think she meant get another piece of coroplast (doesn't have to be big) and overlap it with your current 2X4 sheet, to extend it a little.

But wouldn't I have to remove one of the ends of the Coroplast box if I want to extend?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
But wouldn't I have to remove one of the ends of the Coroplast box if I want to extend?

No, you would just untape the end and flatten it to be the bottom rather than an edge then tape the extra coro to it making IT the edge.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
No, you would just untape the end and flatten it to be the bottom rather than an edge then tape the extra coro to it making IT the edge.
\

Duh, I forgot that it wasn't permanently affixed together! Haha. I hot glued, though...... Hopefully my razor cutter isn't too dull.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If it were me, I would offer to take it in.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
\

Duh, I forgot that it wasn't permanently affixed together! Haha. I hot glued, though...... Hopefully my razor cutter isn't too dull.

I just want to say that you are an angel for doing this! :eek:

I hope that teen is just having a temporary "phase" too.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I just want to say that you are an angel for doing this! :eek:

I hope that teen is just having a temporary "phase" too.

Unfortunately I don't think I can call it a phase. My mother's side of the family is typically always in trouble, except for my brothers + sisters, nieces nephews and parents themselves. Of course, we do all have our ups and downs, but that doesn't give anybody a reason to get a pet they cannot take care of.

Thanks for calling me an angel!

Also, people are calling my cousin under-aged....... I am 4 years younger......... Haha.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Also, this Pig is over a year old. I have heard that older pigs usual have little dominance troubles and soon will settle in as the dominant one because they are the "old man" of the group.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Also, people are calling my cousin under-aged....... I am 4 years younger......... Haha.

Haha well, that bodes even better for you that even though you are younger, you are the more responsible and knowledgeable one. And even if you aren't able to keep the pig, even if you foster it until you can find it a forever home, she will be in a better situation than staying where she is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.