Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Adopting a Sheltie

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
We are going to adopt a second dog this spring/summer. I'm filling out the application and getting in contact with the rescue now.

Well, as with most adoption applications they have this:

Due to the many health benefits accruing from spaying and neutering, as well as to prevent accidental litters, we require that all resident pets must be neutered/spayed.

I have all intact male guinea pigs but I'm trying to explain why it is a risk to put a guinea pig under for something like neutering which for us isn't necessary. Can someone help me to explain this coherently, maybe a link to add to the application that would explain it? I've looked but haven't found a very good explanation of the risks.

You know what, never mind. They wont adopt to us anyway, we have children. No wonder they have so many dogs!

Last edited:
They won't adopt to people with children? Discrimination much?

I am remembering why I didn't get my current sheltie from them. I'm looking into other rescues now. I didn't think this would be such a hard job. =/

It's a shame rescues are usually stuck up. There's so many animals that need homes and decent families are turned away for stupid little things. Most families have kids, it's life. I would understand if the dog was a chow, or a Pitt or another breed known for biting but a sheltie?

I don't know but they will just keep one dog longer from finding his forever home.

Is this a private rescue, or a shelter? If this rescue won't adopt to you, there are always more.

I don't get down on rescues that have stringent requirements. They don't want to get their animals back. I wouldn't go so far as to say that a rescue is "stuck up". They don't know you, they have nothing against you. They are doing what they think is right for the animals they are rehoming. If you don't like their rules, go elsewhere. No reason to talk bad about them.

I thought you were talking about getting a guinea pig. Shelties are what Silkies are called in the UK.

A privet rescue. The problem I'm finding is all the sheltie rescues I can find are linked together. They all have the same rules. I know they don't know me and im ok with opening my home and vet recordes to them but with a rule like that they aren't even trying. There are other rescues, not pure breed, but I'll find one. I didn't think about the sheltie guinea pigs when I made the post, I also didn't intend to diss rescues though this one I think is being overly picky. The point was originally to explain why guinea pigs do not need to be neutered. My search will continue for our new dog.

They were talking to me I think, cause I called them stuck up.

I taught dog obedience for many years and have helped numerous people with problem dogs. Shelties can be very high strung and some of them will herd and nip. The activity level of some children may increase this behaviour. They may not want to adopt to you because they aren't sure if the temperment of this particular dog will fit in with your family's situation. They may be doing you a favour. I do understand that you must be disappointed but I am sure you will find the perfect dog for your family.

We already have a sheltie, he's awesome. I have had him for 9 years. They didn't deny me, it's right in thier application, no children under 7. I stopped filling it out at that point. It's also in the applications of the 3 other largest cities in the state shelti rescues which I see now they are all linked together. We will find a sheltie it is just unforchanate that thier dogs will have to wait longer but oh well. There are a ton of rescues in my city I'm sure we can find one else where.

We already have a sheltie, he's awesome. I have had him for 9 years. They didn't deny me, it's right in thier application, no children under 7. I stopped filling it out at that point. It's also in the applications of the 3 other largest cities in the state shelti rescues which I see now they are all linked together. We will find a sheltie it is just unforchanate that thier dogs will have to wait longer but oh well. There are a ton of rescues in my city I'm sure we can find one else where.

That is too bad, especially when you are experienced with the breed.

Have you checked CL?

Yes, I check all the cities I'm willing to drive to Craig's lists daily. Lots of lost shelties and a few breeders selling puppies but no one rehoming, yet. I did some research last night, checked out Petfinder and what I found is a lot of collie rescues have shelties but don't have the children restrictions so that sounds like the path we will most likely take. I also let the rabbit rescue I volunteer for know we are looking for a sheltie as they work closely with the Austin city shelter and might know before we do if a sheltie comes in. Today or this weekend I will work on contacting the city shelters around Austin letting them know what we are interested in.

I know it might sound silly to be so determined to find a sheltie but I really love the breed. I was raised with collies and have had Rudy since I was a freshman in college. I could not ask for a better dog, he is exactly what I expected to get when I got a sheltie. Before I got Rudy I did a ton of research on dog breeds to find the exact breed that would work for my college life, work life and eventually the life I would have when I had children. Rudy has handled it all with ease, loyalty and love. Including when we brought our babies home. So the search will continue! =D

Here is Rudy with our oldest son when he was 4 months old.

Baby&(broken link removed)s Dog Bath - YouTube

Very cute sheltie. Was his hair throughly cleaned ? :p At first I thought you were talking about a guinea pig too lol Where did you get your first sheltie at?

After I gave him a bath it was super clean. lol

A friend's neighbor was re-homing Rudy. He was about 10 months old at the time. They were moving into an apartment and said he was too wild and hard to potty train to live without a yard. So I took him, moved him into my apartment and did the crazy and just off the wall thing and took him to obedience classes. He is so smart it didn't take long before he was a well behaved dog. I had him neutered as well and he never had another accident in the house after that. I use to do agility with him until he fell and hurt his leg.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I tried adopting a sheltie this past summer and ran into a brick wall myself! I understand exactly what you are going through. I ended up adopting a mix breed from the pound after 4 months of run around and then not hearing back from the sheltie rescue again. I've not told them I adopted another dog yet, and I haven't heard from them in 6 months. Yet I'm supposedly on their waiting list. Ha. I dont' think they really want to adopt out their shelties.

You may want to apply anyway - or at least give them a call. We were interviewed and approved by several different dog rescues (Japanese Chin and small mixed breeds) that had "no small children" rules. Once they knew our kids were respectful and small-dog savvy they were fine to make an exception.

Our first dog as a couple was a sheltie mix and I still miss her every day. She had a pretty low herding instinct but I've run into a couple of shelties where that was absolutely not the case so we've personally elected to avoid herding dogs until our kiddos are much older.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.