Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Owner, need help

mythoughtsandi

Cavy Slave
I adopted two female guinea pigs today from a rescue. They were taken from a hoarding house. Brought them home a earlier today, they seem terrified of everything. They won't eat or drink, should I be worried?

No, of course not. Its a new place, stressful situation. Let them chill out. Sometimes pigs take weeks to get used to new digs before feeling comfortable enough to explore.

This site has a lot of knowledgeable gp lovers on it and some real experts; someone with more experience/knowledge will post a reply soon I am sure. I am a new owner so sorry I can not help, but we are here for u. Hope it its all ok.

Thanks, do you have any tips in the mean time?

Make sure there are places in the cage to hide out. It makes them feel secure, especially before they are more comfortable. And just let them be for at least the first day. If you want to observe, do it from a distance but they have to feel comfortable to come out and explore.

Quiet, fresh hay, water and food. We just got our 2 this past Thursday and it seems to be working with them (they started eating the timothy hay as soon as we put it in; they had never been given it on a regular bases before us). We take them out everyday for floor time, cage cleaning, etc... but other than that are trying to let them adjust to their new home and to us.

Hi and thank you for rescuing those sweet pigs! It is totally normal for then to be scared, put some fresh hay in their hidey areas so that they can eat while they feel safe. You could also try some green or red leaf lettuce and a small baby carrot each. That will get some fluids in them until they venture out to find their water bottle

Yay! Patience is key I guess! I can hear them munching away. :) Thank you guys so much!!

Pictures....please.... Which ones did you adopt? I saw two named Pootle and Perkins in TX on Petfinder. I wish I lived closer so I could adopt those two.

On petfinder they were Maria and Juliet. I've changed their names to Tinker and Bella. I'll post pictures soon.

If they were from a hoarder house I am sure they probably didn't get much attention. Way to go on adopting them!!!! Pictures!

Quick Update. They will now come out a few minutes after they see me place their veggie bowl out. I've started talking to them across the room while they eat and I think they are coming to accept my voice because they don't dash back to their hidey areas.

It has been a week so far and they are comfy in their cage. They love yelling at me when it gets to be veggie time.

Thats great! And Welcome to the Forum!

They love yelling at me when it gets to be veggie time.

I love that sound! I just wanted to say welcome! and also that from all the reading I've done here, apparently it can take months for piggies to be completely comfy around their people. Just keep working with them, and hang in there.

Sounds like your new friends are settling in nicely! :)

Ha yeah, they still aren't completely comfortable with me yet but they are getting there. Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.