Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Inside cage....space or stuff?

ChristieB

Cavy Slave
This goes for floor time as well. Our piggies are tiny right now but we are building a C&C cage with the help from a friend who use fosters guineas. I notice a lot of people's pictures on here have lots of stuff in the cage. Do they prefer things and lots of different places to hide over actually running around and popcorning room?
Besides the obvious hidy hut, sleeping area, eating area and hay area, what are some good must haves for your fur babies? Right now they sleep together but as they get older will that change? Should I make sure they have the option to have seperate sleeping areas?
And then for floor time we just have fresh food, pellet food, hay and then a cozy bed, a hidy hut and a cat tunnel. I'd like to rotate through different things. What else can I put in here to stimulate them?
Thanks!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
The biggest mistake many do is placement of the cage accessories, where most put houses & such in corners & against the walls.
But this takes away much space for running, where most pigs prefer to have access to all walls & corners or run in an 8 pattern. Pet store houses are also bulky, where hideys like fleece forests, hanging towels over corners, step stools, tunnels, & cardboard boxes with multiple entrances allow more running & activity.

Always have at least one sleeping area per pig to avoid bickering, this might come with adolecence depending on your pigs age. My pigs current favorite toy is a brown paper bag filled with hay & a simple cheap hay tunnel. I wish I knew this before spent all my Christmas money on "proper" toys & houses. :expressio

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
mine love boxes piggi toys are cheap you can use just about anything! Just maybe think before you do!

ChristieB

Cavy Slave
thanks so much! This a lot of help. We do have some stuffed animals and have had a box (but they just kept flipping it over so I'll have to figure that one out.) I'll be sure not to corner everything and to give them their own seperate sleep space for when they are older (they are about 2-3 months old now)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.