Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here and has some important Q's

arcangel

Cavy Slave
Hello my name is Tony and i just got my 2 American Short guinea pig's female and one of my female's is rumbleing struting the other and i check when i was getting them that they are both females. Is this just a Dominice issue between the two. As far as my reserch said i shouldn't split them up in less they draw blood and that i should just let them settle who is the top pig? is this true? next my piggies only eat green lelfed lettice or just lettice in general and i know this is bad sense give them many different types of food like bell pepper? how do i fix this problem? Next I'm planning on getting a 3 pig cause i love my 2 pigs a lot but the Q i have for this how do i go about adding another pig and yes my c and c cage is way big enough for another pig.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Welcome and i would love to see a picture of your girls! Yes, girls have to settle the "who's the boss" issue just like boys. Are your piggies getting unlimited supply of hay? They need hay at all times. As far as a veggies go check out the food chart Ly&piggs made it's excellent, I have it hanging on my fridge. I would post the link but the computer won't let me paste right now.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ditto on above poster's info. Here are the charts and a sample menu chart. Most of us here use these to determine how often to feed a certain food. Mixing it up is good for the pigs and you can find all the info you need in these !
  1. Nutrition chart and poisonous
    plants list : (broken link removed)​
    Sample
    veggie menu for a week :
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...gie-menus.html

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome, arcangel! We'd love to see pictures of your pigs.

Ignore the rumblestrutting -- one or the other, or both, is likely in heat. That will last only a couple of days, and then should die down. Do leave them together unless one is being badly injured or is being harassed to the point that she can't eat. Weigh them at least weekly and record their weights -- it's the best way to know when something is going wrong with them.

Green leaf lettuce is good, and you can read those links that Duffinvt posted for some more suggestions. You should try to add green bell pepper next, but if your girls don't like it, then chop it very fine and put it on top of their pellets. They'll get enough by accident to get accustomed to the taste, and then you can feed it in larger pieces and start on a new veggie.

Before you get a new pig, read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the section on Introductions is about halfway down. I do hope you're planning on rescuing a pig rather than purchasing a new one. If you do that, most rescues will arrange for you to bring in your pigs and let them pick out a new buddy rather than you picking it out. Sometimes pigs will just take an intense like or dislike to another pig, and having them meet at the rescue can prevent that from happening.

arcangel

Cavy Slave
Thanks guy yes they got umlimted amounts of Timonty hay. Well now only one of my girls is trying to mount the bigger one but the big one moo moo just kick the smaller one Lunaria it the face. no one is really bother but moo moo just started today to come out a little less but she still eats lettice and hay as far as i see. O and my pigs just nibble at green pepper and they only like lettice? I want to Adopt a new pig but i really only want a female long hairded.

skritters

Cavy Slave
I have two girls and LSP will rumblestrut around BMO. They do play together but they're not best friends or snuggle buddies... they sleep separately and LSP likes to chase BMO out of corners or off the loft, even if she doesn't want to be there herself. Sometimes she'll give a little nip or a nose bump. At first it worried me, but I've kept an eye on them and she's never drawn blood, and BMO is still happy and LOVES LSP :silly: follows her around, etc. We got LSP a month or two before BMO and BMO came to us as a baby, so it was a pretty predictable pecking order.

arcangel

Cavy Slave
lsp and BMO mean?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.