Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Sealing the bottom edges of cage?

4theLOVEofPigs

Cavy Slave
I recently put together on top of an old desk I had a C&C sudo cage constructed from 9x9 grids I bought from the following link.

(broken link removed)t's size is 2x3 grids over lapped 1 square on the ends.
And 1 n 1/2 squares on the sides.

I took 2x2x8 untreated cut down to 15" pieces mounted them to the top of my desk using steel angles cut to 1 n 1/2" mounted to two sides "AWAY" from piggie access of coarse on the sides of the 2x2 mounted to the the desk with #10 3/4" long sheet metal screws.
And I used plastic ties to hold them to the 2x2's.

I put on the floor of the cage on top of the desk a piece of Insulboard 3/4' thick to help keep the piggies tootsie warm, and on top of the Insulboard I put a piece of Linoleum glued into place using Elmer's glue.

On the sides I Plastic Tied 8" wide conveyor belt pieces "WELL" cleaned for the shavings guard.

My question now is how do I seal around the bottom and corners to keep the pee in and keep it from running down and out of my piggie's cage?
I had thought about Latex Chalk but although not as bad in contents as Silicone Chalk it still contains Fungicides which I know are "DEADLY" to the
pigs.

I've got everything else put together and ready for my new pig except this one glitch.
As soon as I get it figured out I'll be ready to roll.

Any Ideas WELCOME!!! :)

Hmmm it's a little difficult to picture what you have there. Have you considered simply getting coroplast for the cage bottom? You don't have to seal it in and actually, it's better than it isn't because that allows for rearranging of the cage if you so choose and it makes it easy to clean.

I would spend the extra $$ and go to a Petco/Petsmart and get 'aquarium sealant' it will seal the sides from pee but fish are very sensitive and if it can be used for them I'd say it's safe for pigs. After it dries (about 24 hrs) there is absolutely no smell.

There is cheaper stuff you can get at Home Depot, but so much of it now has stuff for bacterial growth, I found it was better for my piece of mind to just use aquarium sealant.

Did you read the directions for making the C&C cages? You only cut through one layer of the coroplast, and then bend it back the other way. The only places that pee can leak through are at the corners.

Have you considered simply getting coroplast for the cage bottom? You don't have to seal it in and actually, it's better than it isn't because that allows for rearranging of the cage if you so choose and it makes it easy to clean.

Yes I had considered getting coroplast.
But I'm kinda on a budget so that's why I built the cage with stuff I knew that would be safe and would last and have used before without any problems.
In the past I've built Hutch type cages, But that wasn't the way I wanted to go this time since I found the Grid alternative and cages in Pet Stores are just to Small.

BUT I thank you for your input.

Coroplast is safe to use and definitely lasts a long time. I'm using coroplast to this day that I originally got 2 years ago. It's not expensive to get. I got a sheet recently for $7.00 from a local sign maker. Call around to some local sign shops (thats what they make signs out of) and see if they have extra and ask if they can sell you a sheet of how ever big you want to cage to be. If you look in the "cage store" here on the side, they give you the dimensions for sheets of coroplast to make a 2x3, 2x4, etc size cage.

I had been thinking the same thing.
As I've also kept Tropical Fish in the past and have had to use it, In all reality a tube of it isn't anymore expensive then an upper scale Bathtub/Window Chalk.

Another thing that was concerning me was I wouldn't want any of it getting loose and the pig eating it. I know that wouldn't be good.

The gaps on the bottom/and corners are tight enough that shavings aren't going to be a problem or the poop for that matter.
i was just worried about pee seeping through, "OTHERWISE" I wouldn't even worry about it.

Has anyone had any success with those corner litter pans?
That might be the way to go. what do you all think?

I'll most certainly look into it Thanks a bunch.
I looked at a couple of places and one place wanted $25.00 for a small 20"x30" piece.
and the other was $30.00 for a 3'x3' piece so you can see why I thought it was expensive.
Thanks Again... :)

I'm not sure what you are referring to as "getting lose and the pig eating it". Coroplast?

Really, the only way pee would leak out of the cage, is if you didn't use any bedding at all or used something that wasn't absorbant. Wood-base bedding like aspen, paper based like Carefresh or properly prepared fleece with an absorbant underlayer will work to prevent any leaking.

I've had some luck with the corner litter pans but ultimately, pigs are gonna go where they go. Generally, they pick a corner and go there but that's not always the case. Watch which corner your pigs go in, put the corner litter box there, put in different bedding than used in the rest of the cage, add a few of their poops to it to give them the idea and see what happens.

I was referring to the chalk getting/coming loose after a while and the pig eating it, So that's why I kind of ruled that out.
I didn't think the corner litter pans would work to well although I think I might get one and see how that will work, along with your regular Aspen Bedding.
Your probably right that since it's already a tight fit at the bottom where the shavings guard meets the floor of the cage there really shouldn't be all that much problems with it leaking in the first place.
Thanks again for your input I'm most grateful. :)

I use a corner litter pan for my hay bin. I line it with newspaper folded in a triangle shape and fill with hay. One of mine likes to sleep in it so I have to completely clean it out once a day. I had another guinea pig that loved it so much, I had a second litter pan that I filled with bedding. She was in there a lot so that most of her poop ended up in there. You can't litter box train them but you can watch to see where they prefer to go and spot clean those areas to keep the cage tidy.

You can't litter box train them but you can watch to see where they prefer to go and spot clean those areas to keep the cage tidy.

Don't I know it.
I've always almost from day one with my first piggie I got when I was 10 years old, I've done daily spot cleanings, With a through weekly cleaning.

King when he was still here loved our daily spot cleanings, when he thought I wasn't looking he'd like to run over and nip at the back of my hand, then run the other way wheeking the whole time as if laughing at me saying got ya again daddy.
He may have only had three feet "BUT" that boy sure could scoot.
Thanks Again...I'm most grateful...I must say I like the idea of using one for a hay bin that is quite a novel idea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.