Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands How to make a safe stand?

Supermissdeedee

Cavy Slave
Ok so I have to move my guinea pigs out of the living room and into the dining room. Anyway the space would fit a perfect 2x6. I want to raise the cage of the floor and onto a 2 grid high stand. What's a safe way to do this? I've made stands before but could never go over one grid because it would become wobbly. Im thinking about making grid boxes and putting them in like a checker board pattern so that its really strong and supported but that will require lots of grids...

SO how do you make 2 high grid stand safe?

Thanks in advance!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I had a 2x4 grid stand for my boys' cage. I made it two grids deep by 4 grids long. I had 2 1wx2d towers, 1 at each end, and I left a 2 grid wide space in the middle. I did put grids the long way in the middle of the open area so that I had access to a 2wx2hx1d open space from the front (where I kept their hay box) and the same configuration accessed from the back. The grids dividing the 2x2x2 space in the center gave the cage strength so it didn't sag and kept the two end towers from splaying out from under the cage. I also used grids to connect the towers on the top (like a platform under the cage) and I used a TON of zip-ties. I kept the stand at 2x4 when I enlarged the cage to a 2x5, just letting the cage extend past the stand by 1/2 grid on each end. It was sturdy and relatively easy to move for cleaning purposes (I don't have carpet).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.