Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How much do cavies cost?

C

c6h12o6 WATER

How much do cavies cost?

How much, in general, do cavies cost? including all the needed supplies. Keep in mind we have two houses so the cost will be close to double. I already have the carrier.

S

Sweet Cupcake 01

Re: How much do cavies cost?

I got got each of my cavies for $21.00. I didn't but the fancy cages that come with the bedding and everything because It is so expensive. They are like $50.00. I baught a little bag of bedding, food, and 3 water bottles. We baught our cage at smileys:) . You might half to spend some money on your pigs, but they need all the care that you can give them. If you can't buy a cage, just search this site, and you can get ideas from other peoples cages!
Paige:)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

To acquire guinea pigs, cage, supplies, and food, plan on about $150 on average to fully outfit a 2x4 grid cage for 2 guinea pigs. To outfit 2 cages if you are planning on moving them between locations, I would probably plan on $200-225. It partially depends on where you live, the cage design and size, and your spending habits.

C

c6h12o6 WATER

How much do guinea pigs cost

Well, I live in michigan and I am not getting two guinea pigs, just one.

E

Evansandpigs

Hi well my piggies cost....

Hi i bought my 2 guineapigs from the Animal Sanctuary, which is a animal shelter for only £15 for two!!!! 8o

But in the end i have ended up with 7 piggies, more than i bargined for lol.
I have kept two baby saws and overiously me adult piggies Orlando and Arogorn!!!

However, guineapigs are much more expencive in proper pet stores, such as Pets at home. They are about £30!!!!
But they are very looked after and are surrounded with others!!!

I hope i have helped!!! :)

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Hi well my piggies cost....

I purchased 4 guinea pig's from Petsmart about 3 years ago. They were $30 each. But you can get them much cheaper at shelter's, adopting places or even in local Ad's under Pets. Caging, food and supplies are a different story. You can find them all pretty cheap though. But for cage idea's, PLEASE check out <a href="https://www.guineapigcages.com" target="top">Cavy Cages</a>! I have made 2 of these and they work <strong>wonderfully</strong>! If you have any questions about them, I can help you, or <strong>Teresa, the owner of Cavy Cages</strong>, can also! :)

P

Pigz101

Re: Hi well my piggies cost....

When I when't to buy my Piggy at Petco he costed 20$8o . But if you can find breeders they will probably sell them for less.

R

RedStripedRose

Rescues!!

I'm spending about $100 on the supplies for two piggies, 2x4 C&C cage and allI'm paying $25 for each pig from a <span style="color:red;">rescue</span>. I'm opting that way because:

1) Rescues are piggies in need.
2) The piggies are <span style="color:red;">healthy</span> and <span style="color:red;">properly sexed</span>, much less <span style="color:red;">pregenant</span>.
3) They're not Piggies for <span style="color:red;">Profit</span>.

I can never support another pet store again. That's just me. But, I'm just saying give a pig a chance that needs a home, not one that is making the rich even richer.

I

ILoveLucy7

I looked around for a while at several petstores & they were quite expensive. The average was $35-50.
Finally I found a nice quiet petstore that sold cavies for only $15. They also took very good care of their pets & the animals were healthy.

aquarius30007

Cavy Slave
Im in Virginia and my mom lives in Pennsylvania so I looked in both places. Petsmart was expensive, about 24-26$ each. The local small pet shops had Guinea Pigs from 10-16$. In Virginia I got my oldest Guinea for 9.99$ and this time around I got a Guinea pig for 16.99$. I know Petsmart is a good store with a paper that gives ur pet 2weeks guarentee and if its sick or dies they will refund your money or give u another one, but they are really expensive. Everything I saw is alot more expensive than local pet stores. I guess it all depends on where u live and how available cavys are.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pet stores are not good places to get guinea pigs from.

PLEASE look for a local rescue or go to your local shelter or SPCA.

Look in the paper.

Look on the Cavy Classifieds: (broken link removed)

Look on the Cavy Rescue site for a rescue or shelter: (broken link removed)

Look on the Cavy Rescue site for additional places to find guinea pigs needing homes: (broken link removed)

golden sonata

Cavy Slave
hmmm

I also live in Virginia, and I go to the petsmart in Manasas, but they don't have piggies there, just cats. So, I don't know where I would go for a pig.

n1shell

Cavy Slave
Cavy Costs

Hi :)

I'm in Perth, Australia. Here it is not common to see guineapigs in pet stores (if you do they sell pretty quick). Most are either sold direct from breeders or someone you know or classifieds.

Typically you can see piggies advertised for $A5 to $A15 each. Coroplast costs around $A20 per sheet (enough for 2 of 2x3 & sign shops will cut to size on buying). Cubes (if you can find them) are around $A9 for starter pack of 5 grids & $A6 for pack of 4 grids.

Feeding bottles are anywhere from $A5 to $A30 (depending on size & quality). Feeding dishes anywhere from $A5 to $A50 (more expensive for bigger self-filling feeders). Then you need dry feed pellets, bedding, hay, & fresh fruit & veg.

Shell :)
So they can cost a fair bit to set them up properly but it is worth it in the long run for happier & healthier piggies. & once you are fully set up it's just the general costs of feeding & bedding (& maybe an occasional vet fee).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.