Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Making a new hutch, advice?

katebkate

Cavy Slave
Ok so my parents said yes my guinea pigs can come inside.... when we move. The problem with that is that we might not move for a year even. Now I know some of you will want me to keep talking to my parents about it. I have, they know why the piggies should be inside, but they're not allowing it.

So my dad has agreed to build a new hutch. This one will be raised off the ground, it's easier for me to access them, it protects them a lot better if it floods, and I won't have to move them around constantly (I move them onto fresh grass). And it will be on my porch. My porch is pretty big, big enough to protect them from rain and storms etc. Also, another advantage is that if I do convince my parents to move them in sooner, their hutch will be easy to move inside. Oh and ANOTHER advantage, my dogs sleep on this porch (yes, I also want my dogs to sleep inside, but until we move away from my grandparents...), and it'll be much easier for them to hear and scare off predators.
On the porch, they would get more interaction also. They'll still run around in a pen on the grass when the weathers nice, but they'll live on the porch.

So far my only requirements for it, is that it is raised, will have some lino on the bottom (to stop the wood rotting), and will be atleast the minimum size for two guinea pigs.

But I'm a bit confused, should my dad make it so I can open the whole top? How much should be wood, and how much should be wire because, well, they need ventilation. If you know of any good hutches, show me, so I can show my dad and he can make something similar (he gets most of the materials cheap. I was thinking a single storey hutch, but I'm considering double storey. I might give my dad both options
Dad said he'd get around to it, but after walking out into the rain to move their hutch onto fresh grass, make sure they have that peice of wood on the side and that bit of plywood on the top to protect their home from rain, making sure the sleeping area has plenty of bedding (I always give extra bedding when it rains or is cold) I thought it would be better for both myself and the guinea pigs if they were under a roof, and just outside the door. I want to write down for him exactly what I want. So, how would you guys make your hutch?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.