Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage ADVICE please on a furniture cage

Anthony

Cavy Gazer
Hello all

We are adopting our first pair of cavies! I had an idea to convert this piece of furniture (photo attached) and wanted to get your advice on room and ventilation. It is just under 10 square feet in total. We would connect both cabinets with the long center shelf, so there would be two rooms (glass fronted) connected by a long shelf (cage fronted). My daughter I I are very excited about this idea but I, being the adult in the room, wanted to check with this community first. Mostly, it is safety and health for the little guys I am concerned with.
Many thanks
Anthony

20220214 124619

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if this would work well for gpigs. What is the length and width? I'd be concerned the width is not going to be sufficient. Glass is not going to work for gpigs. They need a lot of ventilation and glass isn't going to do it for them. Then there's the wood- how are you going to protect it, stop pigs from chewing, etc or will you remove it entirely?

However, if you're set on using this as a cage, you could always potentially modify it for a hamster.

Anthony

Cavy Gazer
Thank you this is what I needed to hear. Each cabinet is 19x12in. the middle run is 11x39in. I was thinking of opening the cabinet sides and installing cage wire on each.

I am concerned about the narrowness also. What is a minimum width roughly?

I didnt even think of protecting the wood! I will search this forum for some answers.

Again, many thanks
Anthony

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
With 2 pigs, I wouldn't go smaller than what you'd normally get with 2 C&C grids - which I think is about 24 to 28 inches. As for the wood, idk what you could do about that, if anything. I guess it depends if you're dead-set on DIY or if it's going to end up being a lot of work/money.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Would love to know what you decided to do, assuming you're still on the forum.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
If you have an appropriate sized piece of furniture, you could line it with coroplast to protect the wood. This is what I did when I converted a 2' by 4' space for a hedgehog.

wWqthoNNpxC8gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==