Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here!

MommytoBri

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone I'm new here.
My name's Nicole. I'm 19 and will soon be adopting my first piggy in a long time. Not sure where from though. Right now I'm just trying to get everything set up for him or her.
I used to have several guinea pigs when I was younger and I'm so excited to have another soon!

I live with my fiance in California and we have a daughter named Brianna who just turned one.

Anything else you would like to know just ask.
:)

Last edited:

GuineaGuyHere

Cavy Slave
hello mommytobri, welcome! i to am hopefully purchasing a guinea pig soon from my local pet shop.

shmeele

Cavy Slave
hello mommytobri, welcome! i to am hopefully purchasing a guinea pig soon from my local pet shop.

Hey GuineaGuy - might I recommend trying to adopt a pig instead of buying one from a pet shop? There are many piggies around that are already in shelters looking for a loving home, and pet shops are really NOT the best place to get a guinea pig from. You can check out Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder to look for guineas in your area, and since guinea pigs are very social creatures it would even be best if possible to get a second pig! (of the same gender or spayed/neutered, of course)

And to both of you guys --- congrats, and welcome! I myself found this site (as well as https://www.guinealynx.info/ ) when I was looking to adopt my pigs, and my knowledge about guinea pigs has grown exponentially by browsing the site, reading forum posts and asking questions.

So if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! Glad to hear you've chosen to adopt. Guinea pigs always do best in pairs as they are social animals. Can't wait to see some pictures of the new additions once they are home. 
i to am hopefully purchasing a guinea pig soon from my local pet shop.
 Seriously? Did you not realize that this forum is rescue friendly and does not support breeders, pet stores or showing. By purchasing your guinea pig it does nothing but kill a guinea pig in a shelter in need of a home. You're advice is poor and obviously uneducated. Do yourself and everyone a favor, read and educate yourself about the cruelty of selling sentient beings as merchandise.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I too have the guinea pig bug. lol. it started with two...now I have four...and well if I ever move out there will be more. I really want to foster someday!
I hope that your piggy comes soon! There is a lot of information here that it can get a little over whelming! Most everything I learned I found here and what I didn't know I asked my vet! I can't wait to hear about when you get your piggy and bring him/her home! there is a lot to think about and plan but it is so worth it. They are such cool little creatures!
Welcome and good luck!

Shahbazin

Cavy Slave
It sounds counter intuitive, but "pet shops" are actually the worst place to acquire a pet; nobody who cares about their animals would sell babies to a shop (so you've got sloppily bred, often poorly cared for babies to begin with); few employees are knowledgeable about GPs, & the animals there have usually been kept in very substandard ways, so are often sickly, pregnant, or otherwise health compromised.Since it's a merchandising decision on the store's part (not a moral one), "inventory" that doesn't move, will be discontinued - so by not getting a piggie from a store, you help shut down the whole practice of selling live animals on a whim.   MommytoBri, congrats on your new piggie-to-be! My guys are kind of mine, kind of my kids'.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

There is a list of California rescues at petfinder.com and guinealynx.info

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.