Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Jerome won't eat breakfast.

JerryBerry

Cavy Slave
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning my 4-ish month old little guy ate very little of his breakfast. Yeasterday he ate more of it, and today he ate about half of it--but almost none of the lettuce. He eats his supper, eats his pellets, and his hay. He still popcorns and runs around, and doesn't feel like he's lost any weight. At night he is always waiting by his food bowl. We haven't changed his diet--the only thing is he had an edible hidey house that he never chewed on until earlier this week, and I became concerned about the sugar amount in it (I researched the ingredients) and took it away.

Hs eyes, nose, and ears are not crusty, he doesn't have diarrea, and he's not coughing, sneezing, or breathing funny at all. I don't think it's a tooth problem (but I'm not a vet) because he ate an entire baby carrot yeasterday and that would hurt more than lettuce!

Is this something I should take him in for, or do you think he's bored with his standard romaine and leaf lettuce? Thanks!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I find my boys are picky sometimes. You'll give them veggies in the morning one day and they eat everything, other days the lettuce sits there for awhile untouched until they feel like eating. If he is eating hay, pellets, other healthy veggies and drinking I wouldn't worry. Some pigs have different tastes.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Keep an eye on him because those edible huts are bad.

What veggies do you feed him?

Last edited:

JerryBerry

Cavy Slave
Skinnypigs:

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll probably keep an eye on him, just in case. I really hope he's just picky.

Debs4Pigs:

Romaine lettuce, leaf lettuce, parsley twice a week, cilantro, cherry tomato, cucumber, alternating red, yellow, and orange pepper slices, a baby carrot twice a week or so, and we started celery last night.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Do you give veggies only once a day?

shadowfire76

Cavy Slave
My 3 boys will be complete food snobs at times. They will turn their noses up at the food and walk around it for hours holding out for something different before they will break down and eat it. The only thing I have ever given them that absolutely would not eat at all was summer squash and zucchini. Keep an eye on him and be ready to go to a vet at a moments notice but he may just want to be picky right now.

JerryBerry

Cavy Slave
No, we feed them twice a day.

Last night he was waiting by his food bowl and after he devoured it all he kept wheeking until I fed him some more lettuce. Then he got jealous when we fed the others fresh hay and wheeked to tell us he wanted some (even though he got all fresh stuff that day) Then this morning he has eaten about half of his breakfast, and is munching every few minutes. I'm glad I had this morning to watch him, I worked over the weekend and could only see the end result. I'm beginning to think he's just being difficult. That's okay, as long as he isn't sick.

I'm wondering if he was in a growth spurt and thats why he was devouring his breakfast so fast these last two weeks. He has definately gotten bigger.

Thanks for all the help!

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Not to worry, mine does that too. Mine can be like that too, but as long as they are excited about food and runs for it I usually don't worry. Mine also don't "finish" their food, the only eat the skin on most veggies (bell peppers, cucumber, tomatoes). I bought swiss chard for the first time yesterday, they've been looking at me like I slapped them. :) (how dare you switch up our lettuce?) But they will eventually eat it.. I leave it in all day, they graze and will eat it at some point.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.