Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggy mama~

Capron09

Cavy Slave
Hello all! I live in Florida and we just bought my son a male G.P. in June. He was 6 months old from a pet store. After a bit MORE research I realized we needed to get Guinea (piggies name) a friend. I searched and searched and unless I wanted to go to a pet store.. I was not having any luck.

Finally, a G. P. rescue a county away had recovered 40 G.P.'s from a hoarder in the keys. She said she would only give them away in pairs. So I went up and picked out two brothers 5 weeks old. Well, there were 3 brothers total and when we took the two, the 3rd lil guy squeeked up! So we ended up taking all 3!

Our final G. P. count is 4! Hu, we only wanted two! But they are adorable and well carred for. My husband is a busy man and I am a stay at home mom. He does not seem much interested in the G. P. 's like my sons and I are. We dont have a lot of money and the C7C cages were way out of budget. So I decided to use a bunch of ventilated shelving for the structure. It is 22 x 43 I think. It was AWESOME for one G.P. but 3.....nu uh! Way too small! So I am trying to find some clever ideas for a nice set up. My hubby says NO way are we getting an almost 76" cage in our living room. Which is what is required for 4 piggies. So any advice wuld be awesome!

Thanks!

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new piggies and be very welcome!
I had my cage made by a carpenter to fit the measures of the 2 main walls in my bedroom. I just put chicken wire and voilla! It's really nice, but I think it is a little more expensive than a C&C cage... Try to search the galleries, there are awesome ideas there.

gimmepigs

Cavy Slave
You can get a good size roll of linoleum at Home Depot for a reasonable price and use it in place of coroplast. I have added on to my C&C cages using lino and it works just fine. I also joined a site called Freecycle (where people post stuff they want to get rid of and are looking for at no cost) and posted a need for grids and got a whole bunch of responses. It might be worth a shot :)

Capron09

Cavy Slave
HAHA! OMG...I have been a freecycle member for a whole so I posted both for coro and for grids! Great minds think alike. Now here is a question... Using lyno.. in place of coro.... how does that work. The sides I see shoudl be about 6" high...amd I correct? so How do you get it to bend up and dont the piggies nibble on it? I assume you are using fleece? I hatethe fleece. stinks too bad BUT I had it in a 30" store cage with puppy pads under so maybe because it was so small????

lissie

Cavy Slave
Have you call sign shops for coroplast? I bought a 4'x8' sheet for $10 from this place. (broken link removed)
They have many locations in Florida, so hopefully there's one near you.
Or try to locate a distributor from this link: (broken link removed)

For lino, you can fold them and tape the corners. I'm not sure about chewing, but I've seen some cages in the gallery that's built with lino.

For fleece, it didn't work because the cage was too small. It will work a lot better in a large cage. It also helps if you use disposable bedding in the feeding area or change out the fleece and absorbent layer in that are once a day.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.