Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy I have two pregnant females

buckleyboo

Cavy Slave
I am very new to cavy's and rescued 2 girls recently. Surprise. Both pregnant. I was told by the vet to seperate and am going to get supplies tommorrow to make cage bigger, as one is on the top shelf for now. The more pregant one seems ok, but other is restless trying to climb missing the other. Would it be kinder to make a big cage with divider or will that be worse for them to see each other as it will be months between the 2 of them, that they can be together. I am afraid of them sticking heads through to see each other but have the 9 square grates. Or would seperate cages be better. Help!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
You o not need to separate them unless they are fighting. They will actually help care for each other's babies, comfort each other during the labors and being separated from each other causes excess stress at a time when stress levels should be as low as possible.

Rarely, the one that is less pregnant will eat the other's placenta after she gives birth which can cause early labor but, as I said, that isn't very common and can be totally avoided if you are around when the birth happens.

We have had several other members who had pregnant pigs at the same time with varying gestation states and had no problems with early, hormone induced labor caused by eating placenta

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I think you should make a big divided cage, but make sure you baby-proof it. Make the sides 10" high with cardboard and you can double-grid the divider so the squares are too small for babies to squeeze through.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
If you make a cage divider, just overlap grids so that the holes are way too small for anyone to fit through.

buckleyboo

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the input. I do know what you mean about stressing them, they coo when i put them back together at floor time. I am reading so much conflicting data though on if they need to be seperate. Are there any articles i can read does anyone know?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Like VJ said, you do not need to separate them.

Amy1981

Cavy Slave
Why would you need to separate two females? Unless they are fighting and drawing blood, there's no reason to separate them. It sounds like they are bonded already and separating them could cause them more stress during this already stressfull time.

You do, however, need to get all of the babies properly sexed and separate any males by the time they are 21 days old I believe. They could impregnate every female in the cage and you could end up with like 5 billion babies.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Why did the vet tell you to separate them, and is this a vet who specializes in exotics?

For what it's worth, I don't blindly follow vet advice any more than I do whatever my doctor says without questioning it - vets vary widely in their knowledge and expertise. Mine, for instance, I trust as a good surgeon, after having talked to him and having learned his track record with small animals, but I got a good hearty laugh out of him saying that pellets are nutritionally complete and all cavies really need. I applaud you for considering whether or not it makes any sense to separate two moms-to-be and not just going along with it. I have not had pregnant pigs but have heard no compelling reasons for separation.

Amy1981

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the input. I do know what you mean about stressing them, they coo when i put them back together at floor time. I am reading so much conflicting data though on if they need to be seperate. Are there any articles i can read does anyone know?

Check out this thread: HERE It holds some good advice for a pregnant sow being housed with another sow. It also has good general advice for pregnant sows and babies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.