Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Pig Owner in N.C.!!

CuteCritterLuvr

Cavy Slave
Hello there! My name is Me-Me (pro. May-May), and I acquired 2 young guinea pigs back in early June. Their names are Caramel, my currently pregnant and about to pop female, and Squishy, the high-strung vocal male. I did not intentionally get her pregnant, she was preggers when we bought her. Last time I buy from a pet store...but I felt like I was saving them from that horrible little tank they were kept in with the rabbits. Poor babies...

Anyways, on a happier note they are both getting bigger, gaining weight steadily, eating like, well pigs (haha)! The vet said they were healthy, active and alert and she saw no health issues (just the pregnancy but I don't call that an issue).

Caramel is the calmer of the pair; I was able to cut her nails with no struggling and no wheeking. She was superb, held still, and I gave her some nice treats afterward! She seems to be acclimating to me better than Squishy...maybe it's the hormones? I dunno, but I don't mind, she's such a sweetheart.

Squishy is as his name says, squishy. He can slip through my fingers like a buttered fish when I try to pick him up! He's fine once I'm holding him, but he's a wiggler until I get him to my chest! He's the BIG eater, I didn't know guinea pigs could eat so much so fast! He snarfs down his share of veggies in minutes! Then he'll try to get some of Caramel's! Silly piggie! Oh but don't worry, I don't feed them anything fatty or sugary so they're not getting obese or anything.

I sometimes think I'm feeding them too much fiber...they have a poop-a-palooza every day! I clean the cage every other day and MAN it ALWAYS needs desperately to b cleaned! Who would think such a small animal could product that much poop?! (They should get some sort of award...)

Well, that's it for my introduction. I hope to talk to and become friends with many of you on here! Take Care!

Welcome! I also live in NC. Right now, I have 3 pigs of my own and 5 foster pigs with a pregnant female as well. This site is extremely helpful, I have learned so much from reading things on this site. Enjoy your pigs. I am glad that you have found a vet and established them with healthcare if they need it. Take care.

Is your boy neutered? If not, you need to separate them ASAP so Caramel doesn't get pregnant again once she gives birth.

He is not neutered yet, i'm still raising the money to do so. BUT I separated them with a divider down the center of the cage, and I'm now sleeping in the same room as them should she go into labor during the night.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.