Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm a new mummy to 2 lovely piggies but...

michthegooner

Cavy Slave
Hi - My name is Michelle,

I rescued 2 lovely piggies 2 wks ago from a woman who clearly knew nothing about gp's, They are 1 year old, Romeo (boar) & Lulu (sow) she has had them together since they were 5 mths old & no they hadnt been spayed/neutered :mad: so poor Lulu has been breeding back to back & I have no idea how she is still alive.

I heard about these gp's through a friend of a friend, their "owner" at the time (2 wks ago) had found another litter of pups, all dead & wanted rid so I came in as I used to have gps yrs ago till they sadly passed on.

The woman had left the boar in with the sow as if it wasnt bad enough her letting them breed back to back. I had him neutered the following day with our family vet, & kept them seperated just in case of any live sperm, but it seems he had already caught her before I rescued them.

so now my lovely Lulu IS pregnant, i.e drinking lots more & def putting up weight, but I am going out of my mind, in case I lose her, I have prepared my children as best I can explaining the chances of the pups surviving is very very slim but I really want to do the best I can to at least give them a chance but more so I dont want to lose the mum due to her previous owner not caring enough.

Any advice, sorry my first ever post is so long

Michelle

PiggieJewel

Cavy Slave
I have tears in my eyes, reading about Lulu. Poor little girl. Make sure she gets plenty of good veggies. Green pepper every day is a must, they are high in vitamin C. Also good is any lettuce except iceberg and piggies usually love cilantro. I've read that pregnant piggies should have alfalfa hay, they need the extra calcium that is in the hay.

Good luck and Bless you for taking those piggies out of that awful place!

lulubird6

Cavy Slave
Awww, thank you so very much for saving those two piggies and hopefully, maybe their babies!

Appalling, once it happened the first time, what was that woman thinking to let them stay together. Imagine how many (no, wait, don't imagine, horrors!) how many litters and what happened to them?:weepy:

Hope all goes well now that they are in a home with TLC.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
. Green pepper every day is a must, they are high in vitamin C.
Just wanted to add to this; Pigs must get 1/8 of a green bell pepper ( per pig ) each day. Green is best but you can feed yellow. Red can be fed a few times a week only because it is high in sugar.
I'm so glad that you recused them! ❤️
I hope everything goes smoothly!

michthegooner

Cavy Slave
Thank you,

I have been giving them hay green peppers, carrots, lettuce, tomato, apple most of the time as well as their pellets, as well as adding vitamin c to their food the previous owner just fed them dried food, NO fruit or veg at all not even hay, her response when I asked what their fav fruits & veg were was she didnt give them any as it would b to expensive to feed them & her rabbits yes she has 6 rabbits as well :eek:

I have reported her 2 animal welfare...but that is another story, to say I was shocked/horrified/angry/upset etc is an under-statement.poor romeo is a long haired gp and his hair was so matted and dirty I was shocked, a good bath & a haircut did the trick, also had to have his teeth & nails cut back, they were both kept in a 3ft hutch with no access to exercise at all.

I am still trying to coax them to have a run poor little mites really dont know wot to do, my husband has built them a 2 level 5ftx4ft hutch with ramp that takes over a good deal of our living room & they are only now after 2 1/2 wks venturing around, when we leave them out for floor play they just run to the nearest dark corner and will stay there till we pick them up they clearly have never had much space to play, they are very calm on our lap, and do enjoy lap time, but even that has taken a lot of time every day coaxing them with their fav fruit (apple) they are enjoying their fruits & veg & they eat them in mins.

They are slowly becoming more confident & it is & will continue 2 be hard work, but I so hope that I will end up with confident happy gps, I feel so sorry for them & I really wish that people would think & research animals before deciding to get them & breed them.

I am so glad I found this site, & I hope to get to know you all & hopefully have some good news at the end of this pregnancy, & yes we have decided that if we are lucky enough that the pups survive we are keeping them, as I know we can look after them.

Any more tips/advice on what I can do to give mum & babies the best possible chance will be really appreciated. I am sure I will be on here a lot looking for support as I am so worried about poor Lulu & when her time is due to have the pups.

Again sorry my post is so long

Last edited by a moderator:

Penny

Cavy Slave
Oh thank you so much for saving them! Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
Good luck, if the worst does happen remember that your little girl was given the best care and love in the end. I've been in a similar situation where we lost the young but thankfully mum survived. You can only do your best and have some wonderful fun in the time your given. Keep us posted and much love to your furries, B.

Kareen

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for giving these little piggies a new lease on life.

We have a Lulu too only she is a mini schnauzer. She was also back to back bred for many years (she's about 6yrs) as a puppy mill mom. We've had her for a year and a half and she is transformed doggy :cheerful:!!! She has been SUCH a joy to have.

I have a special place in my heart for "Lulu mommies" and I wish this little girl only the best for what's to come. Hopefully everything will go well and this will be the LAST time her little body is abused this way. Soon she will live the life of an adored family pet ❤️.

Good luck to Lulu and her new family. Please keep us updated on how things go with her and her babies...

Here is a link to proper nutrition for guinea pigs that includes recommendations for pregnant piggies.

https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Ugh. What is wrong with people? I'm so glad you saved her and thankfully this is the last time she will ever have go endure a back to back pregnancy. Poor girl :(

I would offer her some alfalfa hay or some veggies high in calcium like kale and parsley.

A&A's_Mommy

Cavy Slave
The world needs more people like you! Good job. You are definitely and angel in Lulu's eyes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.