Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

About to be new guinea pig owner

mighty

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

My family and I are about to get a guinea pig so I have been doing my research and ended up here. I have been reading and reading and we will be going with the C&C cage, and trying the fleece with towels underneath.

I have a couple of questions too if you don't mind:
1. Is there a thread that describes the amounts and what types of food they should be given on a daily basis? I have read all the lists and whatnot, but many people keep mentioning bell peppers. Where is the info about the peppers?

2. How about water bottles. Is there a brand that is better than others for not leaking and working effectively?

3. Am I correct in assuming that females are generally smaller than males? Any other "general" behaviors associated with either sex? My wife is much more sensitive to potential stink (urine) which I am going to try and take care of by the fleece with towels.

4. For "kitchens" many people discuss kitty litter boxes. Do the pigs just jump into the box and back out, or do I need to cut a doorway?

5. I do not want to get a pig from the typical pet store. How might I find a trustworthy breeder? Many people say craigslist, but those people probably bought their pig from the petstore, right?
Thanks again all!!

Mike

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
1. Is there a thread that describes the amounts and what types of food they should be given on a daily basis? I have read all the lists and whatnot, but many people keep mentioning bell peppers. Where is the info about the peppers?
Read all the sticky threads at the top of the diet and nutrition forum. That should answer most of your questions relating to diet.

How might I find a trustworthy breeder? Many people say craigslist, but those people probably bought their pig from the petstore, right?
You don't. Buying from breeders is as bad as buying from a petstore. You want to adopt pigs through a rescue or shelter, petfinder or find rehoming ads that are not breeders on craigslist.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
There are stickies in the diet forum. Also info at www.guinealynx.info

I have had better luck with superpet or lixit bottles.

Weights vary. I have seen some big sows and small boars. It really depends. But typically adult pigs range between 2 to 3 lbs.

You can make a coro tray in the cage and set it up as a kitchen area.

You should adopt a pair from a rescue or shelter or someone needing to rehome. Not a breeder or pet store.

Here are some helpful links:

Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder
(broken link removed)
Guinea Pig Adoption Network
https://www.guinealynx.info/rescues.html

There is a rescue/ adoption forum here. If you post your general location and how far you are able to travel, we can help you find some adoptables.

mighty

Cavy Slave
Ty for the replies. I am still not finding the part in the diet and nutrition section that discusses the bell pepper thing. Yes I know not to give canned veggies, not to give salt licks/ mineral licks, etc.

Any other info on water bottles, or do you have to get lucky? I have heard from various friends that some drip all day, some don't work at all, and more.

Thanks again everyone!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
There is no sticky thread just on bell peppers. They are included in the nutrition charts. They can be given daily (except red as they are a lot higher in sugars but can be substituted for other colors 2-3 times a week). I recommend at least 1/8 of a pepper per pig. They are a great way to ensure C content as they are one of the only high C veggies that can be fed daily.

Other daily staples include a variety of lettuces or spring mix (no iceburg and it's better to use spring mixes that don't have spinach in them as spinach is through the roof in oxalic acid and very high in A), cilantro and zucchini. Pretty much everything else needs to be fed on a rotating basis according to the nutrition charts.

As far as water bottles, the trick with ball bearing types is to get them completely full. They create a better vacuum that way. I've used the same bottles for about 3 or so years and they've never leaked yet. I have no experience with other types.

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
Please dont get your pig from a breeder OR a pet store. Adopt from a rescue or shelter, or find someone needing to rehome their pig.

I was recommended the spring loaded water bottles, however found them to leak constantly. I use the ball bearing ones and they work fine.

mighty

Cavy Slave
Ty again everyone!! Appreciate your advice and recommendations!

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave
Please adopt and don't buy from a petstore or a breeder!! There are so many pigs facing euthanasia in shelters!

I have boars and have never had sows. But, I've heard that sows are far less stinky than boars because the boars scent mark a lot. So if your wife is sensitive to smell, maybe girls would be a better fit. I'm sure others on here who have more experience than I do can chime in on this.

I haven't had any problems with my water bottles leaking (just some cheap, no name types). However, I know that other people do have problems with leaks. I've seen others on here recomend the Water Buddy bottle (google it). They are supposed to be great, but I think the manufacturer is discontinuing them so supplies may be limited.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
As far as water bottles, the trick with ball bearing types is to get them completely full. They create a better vacuum that way. I've used the same bottles for about 3 or so years and they've never leaked yet. I have no experience with other types.

I think the "getting it completely full" is a bit of a misnomer because as soon as they start drinking out of it, it won't be completely full anymore. If it being completely full is what will prevent leaking, it won't take long before it does start to leak.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I think the "getting it completely full" is a bit of a misnomer because as soon as they start drinking out of it, it won't be completely full anymore. If it being completely full is what will prevent leaking, it won't take long before it does start to leak.
What happens is you fill it full to the top and then screw the lid on and it creates a really good vacuum seal. The seal will normally stay until the bottle is filled again even though the pigs are drinking from it. I've done this for years with a certain brand of bottles and the only time I've had to replace bottles is when I've upgraded the size of them. I use a brand that I get at Wal-Mart. They are made here in Arkansas. They are First Nature brand: (broken link removed). Hartz bottles will leak after a while whether you fill them full or not. They are just crappy bottles.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay, I get the bottles at Walmart too. I have had a blue bottle before so chances are, that one was the First Nature Animal one. I seem to remember that it didn't leak compared to the others I had (whatever kind Walmart had in the 16 oz size) and that the stopper ball seemed to be more spring loaded than the others. It was harder to push back/it wouldn't just roll back on its own when turning the bottle over.

I'm wondering how often everyone cleans out the water bottle tube. I swab down the inside every time I fill the bottle. I find that if I skip even a few days, the build up of gunk inside the tube gets pretty gross.

Also, I don't know if it's our local water or what but I'm noticing a build up of gunk on the inside of the bottle now as well. It's not the greenish algae-ish gunk like in the tube but more of just a clear slime-ish type of gunk. I have no idea how to get rid of it as nothing will fit inside the little neck of the bottle to get at the edges. Ideas?

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
For the water bottles, make sure they have 2 balls. One ball ones drip. You can tell by rolling them around and hearing 2 clicks.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Q-tips work well.

I use q-tips for the tube but I mean for the main bottle part. Q-tips won't reach down into the bottle to clean off the sides.

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
I use a baby bottle brush. It works for me, although sometimes it's difficult to reach the corner area. I heard using rice and water and then shaking it helps too. ( :

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Oh, sorry I thought you meant the other way around. I use a brush that is made for cleaning them. Or you can get a dish washing brush, the kind with the handle. I don't really know what those are called... haha. Rice was mentioned, I herd that works too.

A handful of small, washed pebbles does a great job, too.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I use rice and it works great.

mighty

Cavy Slave
So we got our first female guinea pig from an Humane Society near us. She is about 10 months old. We are going to be ordering some Hay and pellets from KM.

Would you recommend for daily hay the 3rd cut or the 2nd cut? Also, which pellets, the bluegrass, timothy choice,??

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I made sure to get a water bottle with two balls in it, and YES we will be getting another female guinea pig as soon as we can find one from a rescue. The lady at the humane society said she knows of a volunteer that works there that might have some babies.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Get either 3rd cut timothy or the bluegrass, both are wonderful.

As far as pellets, get timothy choice as your pig is over 6 months.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.