Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Making use of the stupid ball

casey's mommy

Cavy Slave
Before I found this website I bought one of those exercise balls. We tried it twice but didn't put to much pressure on the fact that they didn't like it. I am glad they didn't try to move! I don't think I can take it back and I am annoyed that I spent the money on an exercise ball that is useless. I have been trying to come up with other uses for it. I was thinking of removing the screws so its too halfs and maybe using it as a hidey oy maybe a litter bowl :confused:.

Any thoughts on the idea or other ideas??

Thank you

Can you maybe stuff it full of hay and place it in the cage where it won't "roll" or something, or just the 1/2's? Like a hay rack or something, I dunno, I don't have one. Though if they are big enough I would say a hidey would be great, covered in fleece or something?:)

Clean them really well and use them as veggie bowls?

Sell it on ebay :)

Sell it on ebay :)
The only reason I might disagree with that is because someone might buy it for the same use as it was purchased for in this case. The original poster might get money back but another animal could be put in danger.

Its about the size of a soccer ball so I think its too big to use in my cage and I also wouldn't want them to crawl in and get hurt. I also do not want someone to use it for a guinea so I might post it on craigslist and say will not give for use with guinea pigs or something. My husband is alittle upset with all the money we have spent and the fact that I want to spend more so if I can reuse it as something I want to spend money on I think it will kill two birds with one stone. I appreachte the information and advice and if I manage to make a hidie I will follow up.

Also the girls only went in twice for maybe 2 mins didn't move and didn't soil it. Are there other reasons that it would need to be cleaned and would going through the dishwasher we good? I think its probably to big for veggie but in half might help with my hay problem. Just have to make it stable. Thanks for the advice

The guy that we got our newest pig from tried to give me his exercise ball. I refused but when we got home and started planting veggies in pots I joked with my husband that we should have taken it and used it as a planter. Why not?

The only reason I might disagree with that is because someone might buy it for the same use as it was purchased for in this case. The original poster might get money back but another animal could be put in danger.
That's very true. Ebay is just my first thought whenever someone has something to get rid of. I love selling my old junk for money ha-ha! But of course, I wouldn't want to see someone else use it for a piggie.

Just curious how big is the cage. The recomended sizes for piggies would hold a soccer bowl and not take up too much room.

Its not a C&C I found this site to late. We have a store bought cage I believe its 39' because that was the closes to 40' when we were looking and that's what petco was telling us for 2 piggies. I know now they aren't very...well smart..any ways we have a large iglo. a food dish for pellets,one for veggies two water bottles and some toys so the half ball might fit but it wont leave much room. I will have to look at rearranging the cage. but I am now considering using both half for floor time. I have to look and see where the holes are. hopefully they will be where they connect and will make good hidies :D

I think you meant 39" not 39'. 39' means 39 feet and I don't think anyone on this site has a cage that large.

What cage did you buy? Can you provide a link to it?

It's never too late to build a C&C. You can incorporate the cage you have into it or keep the petstore cage as a hospital or quarantine cage.

We got it from someone off of craigslist. Its pretty big but I think you're right its inchs not feet.

The removable holes are right in the center of each half so hidies would be hard to make.

So I took the screws out of the ball to have it in halves, put one in the corner of the cage with a well placed rubber band to keep it diagnal and in the corner and filled it with hay. They ran around purring and being all happy. This morning Fluffy was sitting on the top of the hay. They also found last night they can run behind it but I am going to put something in the way of that. I can lift the ball to get them out if they get stuck but I wouldnt want that to happen while I am gone.

With the other half I have decided when I get my Fleece I am going to make a pillow that will sit in with the tips around the edge and make a nice chair for them to fight over for floor time. :D

I am so proud I was able to reuse it.

Hi,

I have two of these clear balls (given to me when i adopted my piggies). I was going to throw them out, but the planter idea gave me another idea.

If you're crafty at all, you could put decals/vinyl stickers on them, or paint them like stained glass, or stuff them with ribbons or low temp Christmas lights then hang them up somewhere as decorations. I think I'll 'girlify' mine for my young daughter to hang in her bedroom.

Any other ideas out there?

Guinea pigs are not supposed to use exercise balls. Their spine does not bend like a hamster. I would throw it away, because they could end up in there and not be able to get out and hurt their backs. Bad, bad idea.

Please see Guinea Lynx for more information.

Thanks.

If you know anyone who has rats or hamsters...rats love to sleep in them (zip tied to the cage and stuffed with fleece) and I suppose a very large hamster could roll one around lol

Hi,

I have two of these clear balls (given to me when i adopted my piggies). I was going to throw them out, but the planter idea gave me another idea.

If you're crafty at all, you could put decals/vinyl stickers on them, or paint them like stained glass, or stuff them with ribbons or low temp Christmas lights then hang them up somewhere as decorations. I think I'll 'girlify' mine for my young daughter to hang in her bedroom.

Any other ideas out there?

I wonder if you could turn it into a disco ball. :D

I love the Disco ball Idea. The ball is taken apart and tethered down. it is no harm to my piggies. they can get on and off it as they please and it is not a threat. space consumming so i might change its use but its not a threat it its current state.

If you know anyone who has rats or hamsters...rats love to sleep in them (zip tied to the cage and stuffed with fleece) and I suppose a very large hamster could roll one around lol

I know this thread is kind of old, but seeing this gave me an idea. Ferrets LOVE to play and sleep in those balls. They don't run in them, of course, but they like to flop around in them with the door off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.