Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New guinea pig owner seeking to do better for our piggies

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
Hello, my name is Tricia, and I'm from south Mississippi. I am a pharmacist and my husband Matt is a stay-at-home, homeschooling father to our three children. Elizabeth is 9, Katie is 7 & Michael is 5. We recently bought our piggies from Petsmart but we honestly didn't know any better. They are the sweetest piggies, and we love them already. They are both males (yes we double-checked!) and they are named Skittles and Starburst.

We read up some on the guinea pigs via a book and a magazine we got from Petsmart (on a previous trip, before we bought the piggies), as well as a few library books, before obtaining our pets.

We didn't know that those weren't the best sources of information, but I am glad we read them so we at least knew to get two piggies. Also, we did buy the largest cage we could find at the pet store (but now know better). On an old mothering forum I used to post on, there was a saying "when you know better, you do better" which basically meant you did the best you knew at the time, but now that you know better, you can do better, and I imagine that applies to our piggies as well.
After having found this site and spending the past week or so reading here, we have made some changes and will soon be making some more changes.

1. We got rid of the vitamin drops for the water.
2. We learned which veggies to offer, and how to start offering veggies.
3. We learned to give our piggies as much hay as they want.
4. We learned to change their food and water out every day. After all, I wouldn't want to eat food or drink water that had been sitting around for a long time.
5. We will be building them a new home as soon as we find a source for coroplast. We plan to make it at least 2 squares x 4 squares, but could do 2 squares by 5 squares due to the tabletop we are putting them. By the way, this table is in front of a window, but our home is air-conditioned and we have heavy blinds to block out the sun. Do you think this is okay? We don't really have any other place to put them in our living room, and we want them out in our main living area. We already had the squares at home, and we did check the size of the holes to make sure they were an adequate size.
6. The girls and I will be changing the bedding to fleece and towels, or something similar, and visiting a fabric store in a nearby town to pick up supplies to attempt to make some of the cozies, sleeping bags and/or tunnels we've read about here.
7. We will be changing their pellet food and probably the brand of hay as well, as soon as we can find out the best place to get it. (We live in a small town, so will likely have to order it online somewhere.)
8. I will continue to read here so I can learn more about other ways to properly care for Starburst and Skittles.
9. We also learned to run fast from things like harnesses, leashes, guinea pig balls or guinea pig wheels, no matter what the nice lady at the pet store tells you about them. (We didn't buy anything like that, thankfully!)

I look forward to learning more about our piggies and getting to know you all better!

The multicolored cavy is Starburst (due to the "cowlick" on her forehead) and the brown cavy is Skittles, because he was kind of skittish but has warmed up to us. By the way, is that pronounced like it rhymes with savvy (short a) or like it rhymes with Davey (long a)? Thanks again!

Last edited:

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
Aww!! They are adorable!! :)

Isn't it amazing the amount of information on here?? When I adopted my Fajita, I literally knew nothing. And it is comforting to know that any time you have a question, that it is probably going to be on here, or you can ask!!

Welcome to the site! It is wonderful that you are making such good changes for your piggies! You won't believe how much they will popcorn around once you have the c&c cage!!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! Cavy is pronounced with a long "a." I order my hay and pellets online at KM Hay ((broken link removed)) and these are the best pellets as they are formulated specifically for guinea pigs. Ordering online in bulk helps me save money and also living in a small town I'm limited on finding resources, so the internet has been the best option for ordering supplies. Cute Piggies by the way and if you have any questions and you can't find answers feel free to ask.

Lenethren

Cavy Slave
I'm new to being piggie owner too. I have a question though, you said drop the vitamin drops...why? I'm curious because one of the pigs we took in recently had a upper respiratory infection. I took her to our vet (used this guy for years) who specilizes in exotics and he highly recommended vitamin C drops in water. Not just for our sick piggie but to all of them, all of the time. So I am very curious why you would stop.

By the way I homeschool as well...a 13 yr old and a 9 yr old. Isn't it awesome? Best decision I ever made!

hilary

Cavy Slave
Welcome! It's great to hear you did your research and have come here, as you can see it's an awesome place for information. Your pigs are adorable! I don't know if you've seen this yet, but there's a "Where I found mine.." link on the home page that can help you find the closest supplier of coroplast to you. If not I know you can order it online though it is a bit more expensive.

Just a question though.. You said they're both males, but then you referred to Starburst as a girl. I'm not trying to criticize you or anything of that matter, but if one of your pigs is a female, and the other a male, seperate them immediately.

They are both males (yes we double-checked!) and they are named Skittles and Starburst.

The multicolored cavy is Starburst (due to the "cowlick" on her forehead) and the brown cavy is Skittles, because he was kind of skittish but has warmed up to us. By the way, is that pronounced like it rhymes with savvy (short a) or like it rhymes with Davey (long a)? Thanks again!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm new to being piggie owner too. I have a question though, you said drop the vitamin drops...why? I'm curious because one of the pigs we took in recently had a upper respiratory infection. I took her to our vet (used this guy for years) who specilizes in exotics and he highly recommended vitamin C drops in water. Not just for our sick piggie but to all of them, all of the time. So I am very curious why you would stop.
The drops are unhealthy, plus they degrade too rapidly making them uneffective. They should get their C from fresh veggies, not drops in the water.

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
Just a question though.. You said they're both males, but then you referred to Starburst as a girl. I'm not trying to criticize you or anything of that matter, but if one of your pigs is a female, and the other a male, seperate them immediately.

I keep slipping up like that. I think it's because she favors our calico cat Sparkles. I mean, HE favors her. See, I just did it again. I really did examine both of them and they both have a male reproductive organ that protrudes if you press down on their abdomen. However, Starburst seems so pretty that it's hard to call him "him" instead of "her."

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
The drops are unhealthy, plus they degrade too rapidly making them uneffective. They should get their C from fresh veggies, not drops in the water.

I also read somewhere on here that the vitamin C oxidizes (degrades) rapidly, leaving a bunch of minerals that are unhealthy and that could increase their risk of disease.

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
We saw popcorning today in their playpen in the living room. Too cool!

Last night we also saw them both attempting to mount one another. Eek! And they are both most definitely, unmistakable male!

We will be calling around today to try to find the coroplast. We will be babyproofing too, as we are unsure of their ages, but they are on the small side.

I asked some questions on the nutrition forum, and gave their weights there.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...eating-tons-hay-not-much-pellets-veggies.html

(I hope this is okay to link to my other post, if not, I didn't know, so please forgive me and let me know, nicely, so I won't do it again.)

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
The mounting is fine, they're just trying to establish who is the piggy in charge. They're not homosexual.

You want to look at this link for finding coroplast.

Where?

Click on what you want and then choose your State. This is how I found mine :)

Your piggies are very cute.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Vitamin drops can also make the water taste different and cause some pigs not to drink as much as they otherwise would.

Blessedbeingmom, it sounds like your pigs are in great hands! It is always best to do research before getting any pet, but you will certainly do an excellent job of caring for your pigs from here on. Pet store pigs are sometimes sick and can have parasites, so if you notice anything unusual (scratching, hair loss, sneezing, crusty eyes, etc.) take them to the vet. Even if they are fine, it is a good idea to have a vet experienced with cavies in mind so that in case of an emergency you will already know who to go to. Guinea pigs are often very sick by the time they start showing symptoms.

In addition to what you are already doing, make sure to clip their nails every few weeks (human nail clippers work fine) and weigh them every week to make sure they aren't losing any weight.

Have fun with them!

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
How do you store your pig's food and hay to keep them fresh & keep bugs out, yet keep them from growing stale and moldy? Thanks for all the help!

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
How do you store your pig's food and hay to keep them fresh & keep bugs out, yet keep them from growing stale and moldy? Thanks for all the help!
We get our hay from KM (Kleenmama). We just take the plastic bag out of the box, then store it in the cardboard box that it came in (with the lid open) in the room near their cages (not in a closet). Just keep the top of the hay fluffed up as you use it to keep air circulating throughout. Some folks use plastic bins, but I don't trust keeping hay in any kind of plastic here in humid Ohio.

We keep our pellets in a large plastic container that was used for pretzels. It has a screw-on lid to keep the pellets air-tight. Some folks keep extra pellets in the freezer until ready for use.

Welcome to GPC, by the way! You've come to the right place to learn all the good ways of taking care of your new babies. If you do like I did and read anything, and everything, you can possibly read on this site (and GuineaLynx)...you can't go wrong. You'll be able to provide the best possible care for your piggies (which, by the way, are super adorable).

Allyson

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! I love your piggies, the first one has interesting fur :D

My twin sister and I were homeschooled from kindergarten to 12th grade by my mom, who was stay at home at the time :)

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
I uploaded photos of our new cage, and Starburst and Skittles will be moving in tomorrow morning. (It wasn't ready before the kids went to bed, and it's way way way past my own bedtime now, but I really really wanted to get the cage "move in" ready today.) We are really excited, and will post pics of the piggies in their new home tomorrow. ❤️

piggy lover101

Cavy Slave
About the pronunciation cavy and savvy rhyme!

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
We just moved Starburst and Skittles to their new abode, and they are thrilled. They were popcorning all over the place as they ran all over the place to check it out. They are making lots of happy sounds now. Too cool!

frashy

Cavy Slave
Aw, they look so adorable! From what I can see their cage looks great too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.