Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Is it possible?

Mhera

Cavy Slave
In about mid- December my parents surprised me with 2 sisters, Spanky and Zig-zag for my lonely little Biscuit. I made sure they were all girls and quarantined them, now they are all living together... but.. I think Spanky is preggo. I can't recall the exact date we got them, but since then, Spank has been getting fatter.. at first I thought it was bloat, but she's not hollow. She's black, so any pic I'd post would be terrible, but when she's walking her stomach sticks out both sides of her body, unlike my other girls. Since my parents surprised me with them, I wasn't there to ask questions, but my parents said they were family pets.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Where did they come from? Were they with males before they got to you?

Based on timeline, I'd say it's totally possible she's preggo. Are you able to feel any movement in her belly?

cielo

Cavy Slave
Weight her everyday. A sudden raise in weight indicates pregnancy.

Clarion

Cavy Slave
From what you've described, I'd say she's very pregnant. I would take her to a vet to try to get a due date and in the mean time, get prepared for a litter.

Mhera

Cavy Slave
I've been checking for movement but all I can feel is her breathing, most likely I'm inexperienced on that. I have no idea about how they were kept, they came to me in a small storebought cage, both in the same one. I wish I knew if the person we got them from had any other pigs, I'm thinking they would want to get rid of them asap if they caught a boar in the sow cage, and that's why they got rid of both would be a possible theory.

As a precaution, I've gotten a bag of alfalfa hay and have enough extra grids to make an extra cage, though not as large as theirs. I'll have to work on getting the chloroplast, but I'd still have a few days after they are born. I would probably keep the piglets, since I have the materials to expand their current cage, but that would be the max amount of pigs I could keep.

An ice storm has frozen the roads and driving is dangerous. If she is pregnant, she has 2 cagemates to be helpers since I really wouldn't know what to do. Also, I'd really have to talk my parents into bring them to the vet, they don't like spending money.

Since the roads are down, we can just hope she'll hold out til we can get her to a vet.

Clarion

Cavy Slave
Just be sure your parents know that there are frequently complications in guinea pig births and that taking her to the vet may be necessary. Keep a good eye on her and let us know how things are going.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Male babies should be separated at 21 days, so that will give you plenty of time to build an extra cage. (Also, it's spelled coroplast.) Complications from giving birth certainly do occur, so you should talk to your parents now about getting her to the vet if any problems arise. Other than that, just make sure to baby proof the cage, and if you're not sure about sexing the babies, have an experienced vet do it. Good luck!

Mhera

Cavy Slave
I've been looking at pictures, haven't been able to hit the vet yet. Roads are covered in 1 and 1/2 inch of solid ice. She looks round enough to be pregnant, but I'm worried because I can't feel the pups moving. I'm avoiding holding her, picking her up carefully if I do. I'm afraid my parents won't bring her to the vet when the roads clear up. I've been trying to read up, but I'm not finding much on how to help if you can, what to do, should I make a nest or something? I'm pretty afraid that I won't be there if something goes wrong, or I'll be asleep.. do they make much noise? I'd be greatful to wake up in the morning and Spanky and pups are all ok, but I know there's still the chance of something bad happening..

Clarion

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't need/build nests. You should make sure there is extra height around the sides of the cage to make the mother/babies feel safe (ie put a couple inches of cardboard all around the bottom of the bars of the cage). It's very possible that you won't be around when the babies are born. It's also very possible that everything will be fine. That's what happened when my first guinea pig gave birth. One morning we woke up to three new healthy babies. Just read up as much as you can on reputable web sites and books if you can get your hands on some. Use what you know to have a serious discusion with your parents about the risks of guinea pig births. It will be harder for them to say no to a vet visit if you lay out all the facts.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
They usually give birth in the early morning or late night.

You don't really need a nest for them. They'll just do it in a hidey.

They are usually pretty self sufficent and even if you were awake, and something (heavan forbid) went wrong, you probably couldn't do anything.

For picking her up why not shoo her into a box and pick her up from there? You should try to avoid taking her out of her cage though.

Towards the last two weeks when you should be able to here a "chattering" noise when you put you ear next to her belly.

Hope she isn't pregnant but it she is, hope all goes well!

Mhera

Cavy Slave
I've done the math and I've had Spank and her sister for exactly 7 weeks, or 49 days today.

Clarion

Cavy Slave
If she is pregnant, then she should give birth soon. Guinea pigs gestate (are pregnant) for about 2 months. If no babies appear within a few weeks, you should still probably take her to the vet to make sure the fatness isn't cause for concern.

Mhera

Cavy Slave
6 days later, still no pups. Yet she's fat enough.. I tried listening to her belly, I can hear some clicking, but I listened to my other pigs and could hear something similar. But my other pigs, I could hear them breathing, and not Spanky. After 55 days is it possible?

My parents firmly believe that going to the vet is a waste. If she is preggo, all should be fine, if she's not preggo, she's overly fat and "fed too much", yet she eats as much as the other pigs.. I really don't know what to do.
Are little pigs like human babies and kick and make small noises and stuff? Should I continue to feed them alfalfa? If she's just fat and I'm feeding her alfalfa, it's not helping.. perhaps just for the next week.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs can give birth from 44- 72 days. They start to show at 6 weeks. You can feel the kicking and such later on in the pregnancy. It was really neat to feel the babies move when our pigger was preggo. There is a good possiblity that she is if you suspect it. Our babies were born late afternoon, around suppertime.

Mhera

Cavy Slave
I've been avoiding picking her up, when I do, carefully, or I shoo her into a shoebox and put it on the floor with her in it. She has to go to floor time or else her sister starts worrying about her and doesn't play. Spanky is just as active as my other pigs. Is there anything else I should do?

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Just make sure she's handled properly, make sure she's healthy, has a good diet and is comfortable. There's not really much else (or at least that's all we felt we could do at the time). When she had the babies though, we brought the mama and all the pups to see the vet to make sure everyone was ok. I made me feel better to know they were good, but also comfirmed my fear that my little Edward was a lethal. It was just a precaution though!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Amsley246 said:
Guinea Pigs can give birth from 44- 72 days.
It's more like 59-73 days. At 44 days the pups wouldn't be mature enough to survive.

If the pig is only around 55 days along you still have a few days to a couple weeks or so before she has them.

Clarion

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry your parents are being stubborn. Is she still gaining weight or has she leveled off? I know the suspense is probably killing you, but keep watching and listening to her and soon enough you'll know for sure.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
It's more like 59-73 days. At 44 days the pups wouldn't be mature enough to survive.

If the pig is only around 55 days along you still have a few days to a couple weeks or so before she has them.

Sorry, I was going off the top of my head, thanks for the correction!

Mhera

Cavy Slave
So pretty much all I can do is wait three weeks. My parents are really bad about GP health, so we don't have a scale nor will they buy one unless I was there begging... Thanks for saying the number of days, some people say 2 months and I was worrying because she was late. Is there a place where I can find the stages, like at 3 weeks she gets fat or something? I just want to know what to look for when checking her out. I do know that nail-polishy smelling breath= terrible and vet asap, but is there more? I can't seem to find all this info in one place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.