Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

fleece, cage, bedding

crazychic

Cavy Slave
Ive been using Carefresh bedding now for 2 1/2 year and it works well but get really expensive. My cage has a second level where I use old bathtowels. I tried using towels on the bottom level but after just a day they were SOAKED! So I am looking for some advice. I see a lot of you use fleece with some sort of bedding under it like puppy ads or a mattress of some sort. Doesnt the fleece on top still get "soppy" and wet? How many layers of fleece do you recommend on top? Im trying to figure out how to make me pigs cost a little less money and make the cage easier to clean! I know there are a lot of posts related to this topic but Im trying to get a lot of anwers before re-arranging me cage. Thanks!! :) lol

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Fleece is definitely cheaper. One layer is best (I experimented using different underbeddings and different number of layers of fleece, using water). It does stay a little soppy (not really that much) for a little bit after having been wet but it goes away. Underbedding you can use towels (I like microfiber towels because they are more absorbent, but they are more expensive and regular ones work fine), mattress pads (100% cotton are more absorbent, but again more expensive and non 100% cotton work fine to) comforters, puppy pads (If you are trying to save money, you wouldn't want to use puppy pads, because you have to keep buying) or anything else you can think of that is some sort of cloth or so that is absorbent would be fine. Newspaper gets smelly really quickly and IMO is not worth using it, because you would have to change it so frequently.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.