Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thinking of getting another one...

D

d0llm0uth

Thinking of getting another one...

I already have a one year old male cavy, and I was thinking of getting another male. What are the chances of the two getting along, and do you have any tips on how to introduce them?

Attachments

download (6).jpg SP5.JPG SP4.JPG !@.jpg !!!!.jpg Squint.jpg

2steps

Re: Thinking of getting another one...

I have two male pigs who get along great. I've not had a single problem with them. I know that other people have had problems with this though. It's depends on the indiviual pigs.
It's best too introduce them on neutral ground fully supervised, just incase. You can also bath or put a small amount of perfume essential oil on the grease gland so they have the same scent. If they don't get on the first time you can try again to see if their better.
Some people say an older boar is best, others say younger. Mine were 9 and 12 weeks when I introduced them.
I was worried about getting the second boar but it turned out great.
Hope that helps :)

Attachments

download (10).jpg
B

bebegrl7

another male

i got another male after i had my first one for 3 weeks..they got along perfect!! i first put the cages next to each other and my lil baby boy riley slipped through the holes into theos cage!! they have been inseperable ever since! they love playin follow the leader around their cage and having races :rolleyes: ..but anyways i tink you should try putting their cages next to each other then if they are ok witht that have lap time together and then floor time...but i would keep a close eye on them 0] so they dont fight!GOOD LUCK!;)

M

maryjoalaska

Re: Thinking of getting another one...

I had two boars together and one passed away from an upper respiratory infection around Christmas. I just got the remaining one a younger, smaller companion, and I think it was the best move I ever did! :D

The older one has established he's in charge, and they are both very content together. I don't have any females around to cause strife, so I feel this arrangement works.

If you are considering it, get a smaller one so the one already established doesn't feel threatened. It worked like a charm, and not one single fight.

-MJ

Attachments

Picckalo out of the box.jpg Picckalo side flirt.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.