Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Fozzie's Ear Infection

• Thread starter WheeksUnlimited
  • Start date

WheeksUnlimited

Cavy Slave
My Teddy guinea pig has an ear infection. I took him to the vet, who was pretty cavy savvy, and he prescribed the following treatment:

0.6mL Sulfatrim 2x daily
Baytril Otic 1-2 drops 2x daily for 10 days

I was surpised that Fozzie hasn't been shaking his head or scratching at his ear. He eats and drinks well, and is very active. He hasn't lost weight, either. The ear smells pretty rank, and I was cleaning a lot of yucky pus out of it.:yuck:
Maybe its because I got him to the vet right away??

Fozzie is being very good about taking his oral meds and the ear drops. I did a taste test of oral stuff-pretty good in my opinion:D

I am wondering if because of his breed, Teddy, if he will be prone to more ear wax accumulation. His other ear was fine. The vet did check for ear mites, and found no evidence.

UPDATE
Fozzie's infection did clear up with the previous treatment. However, 2 weeks later, I noticed drainage and what looked like a small ulcerated area in his ear. I took him back to the vet who put him back on the oral ATB and Baytril drops for another 10 days. In the meantime, I got a job at an animal hospital and had that small animal vet examine his ear. She said he has tiny polyps growing and tried to snip them. Unfortunately, they are rooted in deeper and require surgery. She has referred me to the Bird and Exotics Specialty in Norton, Ohio. The good news is there is no infection, so no risk of head tilt. This vet said that she sees these polyps growing in cats with severe ear mite infestations. Since my guinea pig had been rescued from a pet store where there was neglect and overcrowding, I am suspecting he may have had ear mite infestations.
So I am going to try to schedule something for tomorrow, my day off. I will keep you posted.

Aww, poor boy. I hope he doesn't have to go through too much.

Congratulations on the new job!

Get better soon Fozzie.

Thanks, piggly wiggly.

Well, Fozzie had a large polyp growing deep inside his ear canal, which greatly reduced the ear canal size. The vet did a complete ear exam under sedation, cleaning and culture of the deep ear canal. She also removed the majority of the polyp. He did very well under sedation, and recovered beautifully. He is on Baytril otic 2x daily, HB101 (ear cleaner) 2x daily 1 hour before the otic drops, and Metacam prn for discomfort. He has a recheck in 2 weeks.

I am hoping the polyp doesn't continue to grow, as then he will need microsurgery to completely remove it.

I was completely satisfied with my experience at the hospital. It is the North Coast Bird and Exotic Specialties-Metropolitan Veterinary Hospital in Akron, Ohio. Dr. Kimberly Cook and Sara (assistant) were wonderful with Fozzie.

PRICEY: It cost me $241 for the exam/surgery, and I paid another $20 for the Metacam. Plus it was a 1.5 hr trip for me one way. At gas price of $3.74.

PRICELESS: Fozzie Bear healthy and happy for many more years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.