Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is petsmart trying to kill their cavies?

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Just look at a few of these advertisements, and you'll see what I mean:
(broken link removed)
Multivitamins are DANGEROUS to a pig's health, correct? Vitamin C is the only supplement you should give them, right?
(broken link removed)
Too small
(broken link removed)
Way too small
(broken link removed)
WAY WAY too small. And note the excercise wheel in the back of the cage. Not good for their backs. No floor room, either. Take note that this is in their guinea pig section, not just small animals section.
(broken link removed)
This isn't even bedding, it just looks like you ripped open a cheap stuffed animal and stuck it's inside in.
(broken link removed)
Pine bedding? Enough said.
(broken link removed)
Once again, bad for a cavy's spine. Go ahead and look at the rest if you want.
If you want to know why I typed this up, there is a point. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING? They pride themselves on being expert pet owners, and they supply pig owners with toxic bedding, small cages, dangerous toys, and health supplements that are supposed to help, but will only do harm! I would love to have a word with these people. I know that saying this will do nothing, and I am simply venting, but seriously, couldn't the company persidents educate their employees and themselves just a bit more. I bought my first beloved pig from petsmart, not doing enough research obviously. I knew that they needed special food, fresh water, timothy hay, and vegetables, but that was all I knew. I was ignorant about it. And obviously, petsmart does nothing to educate the average joe or jane who decides to purchase a pet from them. They guaranteed me that there were only girls in their cage, so I obviously believed them and thought Cocoa was a gril. Wrongo. Later that week, I brought home a young female guinea pig from a family friend's pet store, and Cocoa went insane, he was mounting her and acting unbelievable, so I took him to our friend's oet store, and they guaranteed us that he was in fact a boy. We returned the girl and bought a new boy, and they got along until the younger pig went through sexual maturity and began fighting with Cocoa. I was forced to separate them into different cages. Pebbles, my other guinea pig, passed away a little more than a month ago, and I have to thank you all for keeping me so informed. After Pebble's passing, I am planning on buying another male(I tried to adopt, but my parents did not want to drive and hour and a half to two hours for a pig) from my family friend's store, where they breed their own, and keep the pigs until sold. They keep them in superb conditions and, as uncanny as it may seem, they themselves keep their guinea pigs in C&C cages also. They advise against buying commercially made cages, and if the customers have to, they tell them where to buy the largest possible commercially cages advertised. They have even promoted C&C cages to some of their customers when they come in commenting on how their guinea pig has barely enough room to walk about in their cage. I am buying another boar from their store, and I am in the process of making myself a C&C cage. I just have to say, thanks for helping to educate me so much! And that was just me venting, sorry if you actually read it all.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They're trying to make money by selling stuff. You think they care? They give their money to pet mills.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
And you think I don't realize that? I'm not that ignorant. As I have said through my entire post, I was just venting.

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I just skimmed your post. I agree with you. You can complain to them, but the best thing to do it stay out of their stores or try to correct their bad info by giving them proper care sheets. They may or may not listen.

DocDolittle said:
And you think I don't realize that? I'm not that ignorant. As I have said through my entire post, I was just venting.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Oh and also, directed to rabbitsncavyluv, I'm sorry if my post seemed like it was in a rude manner, I didn't read it over until now. And also, I've never stepped foot in a petco, there are none near us, so I wouldn't know how bad they are.

TinaFabulous

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Well, it seems that your petsmart is making large improvements then! Good. But I still have a grudge against petsmart. They don't sex their pigs when they get them, so, and this is justifiable from my experience, they still keep opposite sexes together. I just wish they could be a bit more educated, you know? And our pet store doesn't sell oxbow hay, so I'm stuck with Kaytee.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I steer clear from all petstores, unless it is absolutley necessary. Like, I didn't know my feed store carried all the supplies till about a month ago. Um, I do buy water bottles rfom petsmart, but that's only because my feed store is SO OVERPRICED. For a 16 oz it's almost 6 bucks! Nuts. Otherwise, I would just like to stay away from every pet store. I might go against Petco in the summer, with signs and such like I have seen on the internet, such as Pet-NO or Petco is the place where Pets go... To die. I've seen a lot of peopler do this, I cheer them on.

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
You also have to consider that the petstores aren't the ones who invented thoes items, petstores are just selling it for profit(sp?), which is just as bad really. You should be mad at the ignorent people who sit at a desk all day trying to think of new items to sell without even considering the health and well-being of the guinea pig. Just my thoughts...

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Oh yes... everybody here should sign the petition, because we all are(or should be, or sort of) against pet chain stores such as Petsmart of Petco. TinaFabulous posted the link, I just signed the petition, it's at the end of the website, and I think if most of us sign it it would help!

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I just checked that site, and I am absolutely disgusted. You are correct, Tina, Petsmart is not half as bad as Petco... I think I'm speechless...

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
They're making money, all of them. Animals aren't live, they're merchandise.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Yes, I realize that, and I have for a while, but I never realized what a monstrosity Petco was. It's a good thing I had never shooped there, because I would probably feeling guilty.

Rosina

Cavy Slave
I think most of the people are just way under educate when it comes to small animals. A lot of parents would get their kids small caged animal and think that they are easier to take care and never care about the well being of the pet. I think we should speak up more and let people know what is good for the piggy and what's not.

TinaFabulous
TinaFabulous

leeannm81

Cavy Slave
What site do we go to, to sign the petition?

TinaFabulous

Rosina

Cavy Slave
Maybe it is a better idea to educate people what is good for piggy and what not to buy, then to stop the store from selling some bad product. I am not against signing a petition at all, but maybe there are other ways to change the products pet stores sell then just signing a petition and expect they care.

If people know about what to get and what not to get, there would be more demand for good product then bad product. When demand goes down, the pet store will not make much product for bad product, and eventually they would not stock the bad products anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.