Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is petsmart trying to kill their cavies?

piggyperson

Cavy Slave
If you have to go to a pet store to buy things from i would reccomend petland. they take good care of their animals i know because i am a volunteer there. but they take good care of their animals and they have lots of room and toys, at least the one by my house does.

John4216

Cavy Slave
I have experience in changing Large systems that do not want to change...If you want to get Petland, Petsmart, Petco, and other large Corporate pet stores to change the only way you really can is by effecting there image and sales. I personally avoid PETA simply because they end to draw bad press on themselves and repulse many people they are trying to reach with some of the tactics used. If you want to change one of these companies it is possible and not as difficult as you think it might be. Internet petitions and all are nice but the Pet companies know that these serve to let people "feel" like they have helped and done something and that it usually ends there and there is no adverse effect on them. You'll never get pet stores to stop selling pets and pet supplies and to try is futile. You have to approach the issue from a perspective that seems to give them a benefit in doing what you desire. I will describe an example of what I mean (this is an example only):

Assume that I know someone or a company that could mass produce C&C cages for a very good price.

Assume my goal is to get the store/chain Widget Pets to improve their treatment of cavies overall.

Last Assumption :) Assume that there is myself and a group of people involved and dedicated to this task both at the local stores and nationally if need be.

I would arrange to meet with Widget Pets PR person or whatever they may call that person for the company. In this meeting I would inform them that my goal is to improve their treatment of cavies overall. I would also inform them that I am not against them or trying to cause a conflict with them, rather, I think that if they listen I can actually increase their sales/profits and increase their image/PR which would also increase their sales/profits. The alternative would be negative publicity for the company and an ongoing campaign to educate the public to boycott the company (ranging from informational pickets to television and newspaper coverage etc) but that we are trying to avoid any conflict at all.

By offering to increase the profit and image of the company you will probably get their attention and they will at least listen to see if you actually can as almost every large entity really really dislikes bad publicity especially over a period of time and people are really sensitive to pets so they will be willing to at least listen at first.

Then I explain how this will be beneficial for them.
1). We want to provide (free to the store) informational pamphlets about the piggies for the store to post and hand out.
2). We educate the staff (and in the pamphlet) that piggies really need to have a larger cage and should be bought in same sex pairs and they tell customers this, resulting in more piggies being bought along with bigger cages being bought. (and yes I know never buy a piggie from a store but people still do and I'll get to this also)
3). The cages would be the C&C ones I mentioned above so they would be Larger then the other cages and would cost less to the customer and would cost less to the Pet store and therefore would increase $$ when selling it and the piggies would have better homes.
4). Along with the bigger cages would be the proper type of bedding sales and bigger cages use MORE bedding to cover it so that would increase the bedding sales....(Can you see how this is going?? Your appealing to what they want to get what you want)....
5). Also it could be pointed out that once the Widget company has a reputation nationwide of being a very caring and sensitive company with their piggies then they could also do (and some pet places where I live do this) rescue piggies and not have to pay for breeders as much or at all depending on the local rescue association. This would reduce the use of breeders and increase profit again for them.

That is just an example but it is also real as it could be used for real and could work for real. The problem is many people want these places to immediately stop XXX whatever XXX may be, breeders, cages, ect...but the real world does not operate that way so no improvements get made at all. I dislike petland to death because they just have all the piggies mixed and many are pregnant and they have no clue what they are doing other than to sell them and no understanding of the animal at all. My piggies came from a pet store (cept the baby, the one pigie was pregnant when we got it) and I would adopt but didnt think about it until AFTER I got them and started doing research into whats best for them. This I would say is very common and finding out AFTER buying from the petstore is to late. So saying not to buy from one is a good thing but really does not do much in reality for this and other reasons. But if you followed the example above you would slowly over time (in small steps) change 1 store/company to doing much better practices and if this is successful others would follow because if it works for this company then it would work for them. The problem is that this would not happen overnight and could take months or years to accomplish this. The last project I worked on to change a large entity like this took me 8 years to finally get changes to occur.

Anyways I am rambling and should stop :) But if you are serious about changing things then just know that it can be done and that 1 person can make a difference and change them if you have patience, a clear goal, and and understanding for ALL perspectives involved so you can get to your goal in the end.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Why on earth would you volunteer at a pet store that sells animals? You're just helping them make more money. Why don't you help out at the shelter or a rescue?

Petlands around here suck and so do most. There's an article about pet stores that sell animals and one manager of Petland is proud that they sell animals to whoever walks in the door, no questions asked. They get their animals from pet mills, and breeder culls.

Why don't you read this thread too?

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16783

piggyperson said:
If you have to go to a pet store to buy things from i would reccomend petland. they take good care of their animals i know because i am a volunteer there. but they take good care of their animals and they have lots of room and toys, at least the one by my house does.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I agree. I went in to inspect our local petland. They had about 15 'supposed' males in a cage smaller than a SMALL pet store cage. It was a very sad sight. Yes, they had water and pellets, but no hay or veggies. It's typical. Please don't help volunteer there. Even if your petland is good, it is a chain and the money you help earn goes to all of the crappy pet lands.

piggyperson

Cavy Slave
ok then sorrrrrry!
That is the last time i post

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Well that's a little unfair, piggyperson. We were just commenting. You're overreacting because, face it, other people are going to disagree with what you do. I'm just saying it would be better to volunteer at a shelter, because they don't advocate the breeding of pigs. As long as pet stores sell animals, there are going to be guinea pig mills.

Himino

Cavy Slave
I agree with Doc

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Petland here is absolutely awful. They sold to a 10-year old boy, whose mom wanted to return everything (obviously). All they'd take was the mouse, so she had to keep everything else--even though they illegally sold it to someone under 18. How sad. They also keep their cavies in wire-bottomed glass aquaria, which is awful, and they are usually too young to be weaned. I'll never shop there.

John4216

Cavy Slave
Yes I dislike Petland more than any of the others because they are extremely hypocritical and try to come across as doing the right thing and being so pet friendly and such on their homepage yet the truth is far different.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Exactly. And they, like so many pet stores, are in it for the money.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
All stores are in it for the money. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. Sell all the supplies they want and that is fine by me. Until they stop buying from mills, backyard breeders, and other unqualified people and stop doing same-day, impulse, uneducated sales of animals to every consumer who wants one, then it's not right. When we aren't killing them anymore on the backend due to overpopulation--all caused by the uneducated selling to unqualified homes from the pet store sales, then we can talk about different issues.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Our petland also has at least two puppies in small enclosures inside the wall, on wire bottoms. What's wrong with this picture? A. The enclosures resemble a small fish tank. NO ventilation. B. Even if their paws aren't small enough to get stuck, how would you feel with wire grid pressing up against you all day? And C. The puppies are drinking out of water BOTTLES. Not bowls. The kind of bottles we give our pigs.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I totally agree, CavySpirit. If it was merely supplies I wouldn't have a problem--granted that they are appropriate and that correct information is being given out. However, just not selling animals is better than 90% of the stores out there now.

amfeider

Cavy Slave
But someone has got to rescue the cavies from petsmart if no one buys them they remain in that horrible enviroment Do we really want that?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Buying animals from pet stores is NOT rescuing. You should ask that question to the store manager or the pet mills or the breeders that sell their culls there. Meanwhile the shelter pets are put to sleep.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
amfeider: read www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm. I've explained this all too many times (no offense meant of course), and you'll find all the info you need right there. :)

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Someone less informed than you will end up buying that petstore piggy. They always do. All you can do is not contribute to it by buying one yourself and trying to educate other people.

PurplePoe

Cavy Slave
rabbitsncavyluv said:
Meanwhile the shelter pets are put to sleep.
It's amazing how many people think that shelters do not euthanize pocket pets and that it's a "safe" way to get rid of their pet. I currently work at a shelter and sadly more go down than go home due to this thinking.

Poe

phantac

Cavy Slave
Lets not make the statement that pet stores adopt out their pets to anyone and shelters dont. shelters also adopt out to anyone that walks in as long as they have an address, and a phone number. At least the ones in New York do. As a matter of fact, a person who is willing to shell out money in a pet store to purchase a pet, you can assume may take better care of their pet than someone who adopts. I know quite a few people who have adopted pets only not to be happy with them and return them and adopt another at another shelter. So lets not get carried away here. As far as the person who is working at the pet store goes, you can say well by working at this pet store she is a knowledgeable person who can give proper care to the pets there and give out correct info to purchasers and other employees of this store. I personally think everyone should make people more aware of guinea pigs in general. You will be surprised as to how many people dont even know what a guinea pig is. People wont adopt guinea pigs if they dont know they exist. I have stated in other forums that my piggies are called anything from hamsters to rats. Rarely does a person get it correct. So what does this tell me. We all know about cats and dogs, where do you ever see or hear about guinea pigs? Nowhere. I'm not a leader, but if the right people knew how to go about advertising like in their local papers about guinea pigs and what wonderful pets there are and the plight of them, maybe more people would adopt. The word has to get to more people. Thank you for my venting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.