Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is petsmart trying to kill their cavies?

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
phantac said:
Lets not make the statement that pet stores adopt out their pets to anyone and shelters dont. shelters also adopt out to anyone that walks in as long as they have an address, and a phone number. At least the ones in New York do. As a matter of fact, a person who is willing to shell out money in a pet store to purchase a pet, you can assume may take better care of their pet than someone who adopts. I know quite a few people who have adopted pets only not to be happy with them and return them and adopt another at another shelter. So lets not get carried away here. As far as the person who is working at the pet store goes, you can say well by working at this pet store she is a knowledgeable person who can give proper care to the pets there and give out correct info to purchasers and other employees of this store. I personally think everyone should make people more aware of guinea pigs in general. You will be surprised as to how many people dont even know what a guinea pig is. People wont adopt guinea pigs if they dont know they exist. I have stated in other forums that my piggies are called anything from hamsters to rats. Rarely does a person get it correct. So what does this tell me. We all know about cats and dogs, where do you ever see or hear about guinea pigs? Nowhere. I'm not a leader, but if the right people knew how to go about advertising like in their local papers about guinea pigs and what wonderful pets there are and the plight of them, maybe more people would adopt. The word has to get to more people. Thank you for my venting.
But adopting from a shelter prevents that pig from being put to sleep. Buying from a store generally seals that poor pig's fate.

The price of a pig in a petstore is nominal, and people really don't mind throwing away a petstore pig like any other.

Petstores generally treat their stock poorly (remember, an animal is just another product, like a rubber chew toy) and support mill breeding, fueling the suffering of endless sows being back-bred.

Shelters are the way they are not because of bad people, mostly lack of funding. They do not have the resources to take on all the dumps from irresponsible people looking to absolve their responsibility of taking care of a living creature.

You do know absolutely nothing on this subject and haven't read many of these threads, did you?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
As a matter of fact, a person who is willing to shell out money in a pet store to purchase a pet, you can assume may take better care of their pet than someone who adopts.

WRONG, wrong, wrong. Where do you get this idea? I don't even have the desire to explain why you are so completely wrong on this.

I'm not a leader, but if the right people knew how to go about advertising like in their local papers about guinea pigs and what wonderful pets there are and the plight of them, maybe more people would adopt.

By leader, you mean someone who is willing to PAY for the advertising out of the goodness of their leadership hearts? I definitely agree, on increasing education and awareness, but it doesn't come for free. I used to consistently advertise in the San Jose Mercury News and the SF Chronicle. I can no longer afford it.

phantac

Cavy Slave
Who do you think you are speaking to. Watch how you write. Anyone can voice their opinion, if you have something to say, say it nicely or dont say it at all. We are all guinea pig lovers who all want the same thing. Where do you come off being so antagonistic. Who made you god. Where do you get the information that shelters dont put them to sleep. Wake up and smell the roses, of course they are put to sleep. If animals werent put to sleep we would be outnumbered. Do you honestly think that shelters are going to continuously take in animals and not put them to sleep. Where are they going to put them, build c&c cages and stack them on top of each other until they reach the moon. I dont think so. At least not here where I come from. As I stated before and I will state it again, you have to educate people as to what a cavy is and let them know there are cavies to be adopted and they make great pets otherwise nothing will change.

phantac

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit said:
As a matter of fact, a person who is willing to shell out money in a pet store to purchase a pet, you can assume may take better care of their pet than someone who adopts.

WRONG, wrong, wrong. Where do you get this idea? I don't even have the desire to explain why you are so completely wrong on this.

I'm not a leader, but if the right people knew how to go about advertising like in their local papers about guinea pigs and what wonderful pets there are and the plight of them, maybe more people would adopt.

By leader, you mean someone who is willing to PAY for the advertising out of the goodness of their leadership hearts? I definitely agree, on increasing education and awareness, but it doesn't come for free. I used to consistently advertise in the San Jose Mercury News and the SF Chronicle. I can no longer afford it.

phantac

Cavy Slave
why isnt there a fund of some sort?

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
phantac said:
Who do you think you are speaking to. Watch how you write. Anyone can voice their opinion, if you have something to say, say it nicely or dont say it at all. We are all guinea pig lovers who all want the same thing. Where do you come off being so antagonistic. Who made you god. Where do you get the information that shelters dont put them to sleep. Wake up and smell the roses, of course they are put to sleep. If animals werent put to sleep we would be outnumbered. Do you honestly think that shelters are going to continuously take in animals and not put them to sleep. Where are they going to put them, build c&c cages and stack them on top of each other until they reach the moon. I dont think so. At least not here where I come from. As I stated before and I will state it again, you have to educate people as to what a cavy is and let them know there are cavies to be adopted and they make great pets otherwise nothing will change.
Because you wrote some of the most uninformed drivel I've ever seen. READ and THINK before you post!

Posting 101!

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
phantac, Are you aware that CavySpirit runs this entire forum?Or that she has a pig rescue that she runs out of her home? Her money needs to be spent on vet bills taking care of the pigs people got from petstores and then gave her when they got sick.

News Flash... we ARE outnumbered! There are animals all over the world that are homeless and suffering. Shelters try, they really do, there just isint enough money or space to go around.

Teresa set up this site and cavyspirit.com to try to educate people.She opened up her home and spend her own money to rescue guinea pigs. Have you seen pictures of her house? Its been completly taken over by guinea pig cages.You should really become more informed before you start trashing people.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I have to agree. I saw that post and didn't even know where to begin. If you're aware the shelter pets are dying, then why are you supporting pet stores that breed and buy from pet mills?

CavySpirit said:

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
As far as the person who is working at the pet store goes, you can say well by working at this pet store she is a knowledgeable person who can give proper care to the pets there and give out correct info to purchasers and other employees of this store.
That is actually really really funny. I can assure you that the people I've run into at petstores don't know anything about the pets there. If they're out for profit, they're not really going to care about giving good advice.

And I don't see how money gaurantees a good owner either. Money doesn't prevent them from getting bored with their pet.

If animals werent put to sleep we would be outnumbered. Do you honestly think that shelters are going to continuously take in animals and not put them to sleep.
And that is why most people here strongly oppose pet mills & pet shops. They just keep adding to the problem of their being too many pets needing homes.

PurplePoe

Cavy Slave
phantac said:
Do you honestly think that shelters are going to continuously take in animals and not put them to sleep. Where are they going to put them, build c&c cages and stack them on top of each other until they reach the moon. QUOTE]

As a shelter worker I am offened by this. You make it sound as if there is some death quota and that putting animals to sleep is easy for us. Shelters are not out there so we can kill our way out of the pet overpopulation problem.

Poe

90katrina90

Cavy Slave
I agree that most of that stuff is very, very stupid to give to a guinea pig. But there is nothing wrong with the cages that are NOT aimed for guinea pigs... they could be aimed for mice.. or spiny mice, which are those TINY ones... my PetSmart is waaay more careful.. But the animals are over priced.. which means they will not find homes.. and they are a money-minded petstore.

Love_my_piggies

Cavy Slave
It makes me sick. If it is harmful to animals, don't sell it, period. But, like you said, they don't care. Money is the name of the game.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.