Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New

punkyb78

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I am new to the world of Guinea Pigs. I have to handsome boys and am looking for lots of advice. I appreciate any advice you may have for me because I am in need of lots and lots of help. I am looking into making a cage for my boys, right now they have a store bought one and I would love to expand in size to give them lots more room to play. However I am concerned about a couple of things. Today as I was cleaning my baby boys cage I found out that one of them is a bit of a jumper and jumped out of the box I was using to hold them while cleaning their cage. So Im wondering if he will be able to get out of one of those C&C cages. I would really love to create one of those for them. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. :)

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Hi PunkyB, welcome to the forum. How deep was the box? The cubes are approximately 14x14 inches. My boys show no interest in going "over the top", but I don't have any females either. I do keep a lid on their cage because I have cats. The lid is easy to operate and adds some ridigity to the cage as a whole. It's also a handy place to set something down or to keep their "treat jar". You might start with one, as you can always remove it later if it's not needed.

LonePig

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the group Punky, if you need information on guinea pigs, this is a great place to find it. I recommend just browsing through posts when you have the time. Usually you'll find answers to questions you have, and those you haven't thought of yet. I've found so many great ideas just by browsing through all the posts and the great photos.

The grids are about 14 inches high like Toadies said, one of my boys liked to climb on top of his hidey house and then try to climb over the top of the grids. I would use extra grids to make a partial top over his hidey house, or any other things he could use to climb up and out. You just have to be sure to secure any overhead grids securely to prevent the chance of them falling in and injuring a pig. Or you could do as Toadies suggests and build a full cover. There is lots of ideas to look at in the "covered cages" photo section.

Again welcome, and have fun!

punkyb78

Cavy Slave
Well the box was 8in high to me my baby boy patches seem very small still. according to when I was told he was born he will only be three months, so my concern is when he gets bigger. I know males can grow somewhat large kind of like the size of a rabbit. I have to admit that I can't wait to get started building my cage, I found the coroplast at a local art store, but it seem that I have to order the grid online, cause I just can't seem to find a place that carries it in the store. Since I am new to owning a guinea pigs, for the first time, the other day I blocked off my kitchen and let my boys run around all over the place. They seemed to enjoy it a lot and that is the easiest place in my house to clean up if they mess. I was also wondering if it is particulary hard to litter box train them and should you use the bedding in the litter box instead of litter due to the dust in the litter? I also want to thank you for your comments its nice to be able to express my concerns when it comes to my boys, especially since my hubby make fun of me cause all I do is talk and worry about my piggies, even though it was his Idea to get one as a family pet for our daughter. Now they are pretty much all mine my daughter will pet them when I hold them and help me feed them, other than that she really doesn't bother with them. Well thanks again. :)

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
I'm concerned about the same thing for when I get mine built as well. I have a pig that can climb over a 9" tall fence, 14" should thwart her.

I am going to use an extra grid to put a "roof" on the hidey houses or other things she could climb on as well. If you put houses in the corner, the grid would just attach into the corner with greater stability.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Sounds good in theory, but guinea pigs are notorious redecorators. Just because you put the houses in the corners doesn't mean they will remain their.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Excellent point! Mine constantly move their pigloo around. I actually put metal ring things (they have a technical name, I'm sure!) through a hole in the pigloo and secured it to the side of the cage. They still manage to turn it on its end, half upside down, but not totally move it around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.