Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

We have a new girl!

eeyorestreats

Cavy Slave
Hello all, It has been almost a month and I would like to say Hello and Thank everyone whom I have read their Threads! We MY Girls and I have had a rough 3 1/2 weeks. I became a new mom to 7 week old girls on Sep 14th. On Sep 18 we lossed 1 of the girls to a URI (I took her to the Vet the 17th day she showed signs). It went ok for 1 week with only our Sprinkles (she was lonley). Then she showed signes of labored breathing and got her to the Vet on the 24th. She has been on Meds for 2 weeks and is doing great! We just got another little girl but she is very little only 12 days old. I was all ready to Quareenteen and the lady that we rescued her from said she would die if not with another pig. I was scared so I put her Ginger Snap in with Sprinkles. I am going to watch them carefully. I know I have read a lot about Quareenteen and know I am taking a chance. But I wanted everyone to know that this site has been very helpfull and again I say thanks. :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The person you got this pig from apparently knows very little to nothing about pigs. The pig wouldn't have died but it's too young to be away from it's mom. They shouldn't be taken away from mom until they are 21 days old. Quarantine in this situation would almost have been a must if you have one pig just getting over a URI. If it's not completely gone, you are exposing the new little one to it.

eeyorestreats

Cavy Slave
I don't know the reasoning behind why it wasn't with the mom but, I am new at this and was scared either way I looked at it. My pig that was sick we got at a Pet store and I lost one after 3 days and Sprinkles was on her last day of meds and has been gaining weight and eating good, playing, ECT. so I thought it would be safe. I know I am new at this and was ready to Quarenteen but wasn't expecting the baby to be so young. There has been very little on baby care. Again I was scared and I will be monitoring them very carefully. Thanks again!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
A 12 day old baby should still be with mom, unless she was an orphan?

I hope you are weighing her daily and giving her alfalfa hay.

eeyorestreats

Cavy Slave
yes she is being weighed and she was 6 oz on Sat and Tonight she was still 6 oz still. I am feeding Alfalfa hay, And vegies, She is eating, drinking and making a lot of Pooh. I can use all the advice I can get. She seems to be doing well. She is much more vocal about things too. I will deffently continue to monitor her. I got her from a adoption after getting my first 2 from a pet store I thought I was doing better since I found a place to adopt from in our area. I trusted the Pet store owner but every thing I kept reading said adopt well she only had little babies. So I am doing what I can and learning a lot along the way. Any advice on babies would be nice since Sprinkles is about 12 weeks and the baby Gingersnap is about 12 days now. My cage is baby proofed! Thanks to this web site. :)

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Eeyore-

I would suggest a bit of Critical Care to insure baby is getting enough nutrients. If she were with mama, she would be nursing. At this age most of the vital vitamins, and liquids for that matter (my baby did not drink out of the water bottle for weeks), come from mama's milk. It definatly could NOT hurt. And she should be STEADILY gaining weight. It is good she hasn't lost any yet, but staying at the same weight is not necessarily good.

Honestly, try Critical Care. Maybe warmed up a touch. Just so its about body temperature to baby (like mama's milk would be). You'll be surprised how she'll take to it :) And she'll start gaining weight like a good healthy piglet.

Hope this helps ,and good luck. I have a young'in too, so ask any questions. I have had her since "zero hour" as we call it...she was born in my room :)

Heidi

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Good advice above - they really do need the nutrition they get from mum until 3 weeks. Offer critical care on a small spoon and I'm sure she will lap it up!

eeyorestreats

Cavy Slave
Thanks all. I weighed her this am and she is up to 6.5 oz. She is drinking from the water (watched her) also seems to eat anything we give her. Alfalfa hay is constantly available and I will try all your suggestions. Thanks again for the info! I would add a photo to this but not sure how. :)

eeyorestreats

Cavy Slave
Thank YOU. I will try that tonight. My girls are doing good. I have been weighing them and Gingersnap (baby) is up to 8 oz and Sprinkles is 13 oz now. Sprinkles was sick but is doing great and she is gaining as well. she was only 7.5 oz when we got her. I am now wondering if she was younger than we were told but not sure. :)

eeyorestreats

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I have been keeping their weights and both are gaining. I appreate the link. I have also just extended their cage and it is now a 4X2 with a 1 X 2 kitchen. Thanks again all for the help. I will get pictures as soon as I can.

Fluffy_Guinea

Cavy Slave
Your welcome and I can't wait to see pics of the cage and make sure to throw in some pigtures hehe.

eeyorestreats

Cavy Slave
I will be taking new pictures of the Girls and the cage this weekend and get them up. I have extended the Cage and they seem to enjoy the new addition. Also they are both getting bigger and are a blast to watch. :)

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here :)

eeyorestreats

Cavy Slave
Hello all here is a link to pictures of my Girls. They are both doing well. Sprinkles has hit the 1LB mark and Ginger is up to 12 oz. They are such a joy to watch. My whole family Love them. :)Just copy & paste this link in your address bar. :) https://www.photoshow.com/watch/KP8cM6hU

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.