Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hemp, Aspen, or Softsorbent ?

TwoOfaKind

Cavy Slave
I was wondering what your thoughts were on the above three bedding types - Hemp, Aspen, or Softsorbent ? Absorbency, Smell-Factor, Overall Cleanliness - just general stuff.

Out of those three, I only have personal experience with Softsorbent. And have not used hemp or aspen, but was wondering what thoughts you guys had on it ?

I am switching back to bedding (well, I'm doing half bedding/part fleece - I posted on another post about that)

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks :cheerful:

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I have not had experience with hemp or softsorbent although I do currently use aspen. Aspen works fantastically, it has no aromatc-oils, absorbs the urine well and is generally easy to maintain. I tend to do a spot check every other day and a full on clean once a week. The only downside to using aspen is the cost. I personally get the biggest bag as it is the cheapest, but even then it only lasts me a couple of weeks and costs $25 (Australian Dollars).

TwoOfaKind

Cavy Slave
Well, I'm going to try the Aspen.. My project for this evening is tinkering with the cage (again, LoL) and I ended up getting a 113Liter bag of Aspen for just under $13.00 (I couldn't believe how good the price was!) So, we'll see - I am hoping the piggies like it (and I am hoping I do too!)

I'll let you all know how it goes!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Aspen for me it doesn't smell, isn't very dusty, doesn't cost my dad alot to buy, and lasts long. But I noticed it keeps the surface dry but the bottom is very wet and gross.
Softsorbent is great,doesn't smell, keeps down odors, Looks pretty cool in the cage, and my pigs just love it. The only downside is it cost about 13 dollars a big bag and that will only last a couple of litter box changes.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
To some extent the bottom does get wet. But what I do is lay a good, thick layer of aspen with newspaper underneath. Every other day I do a spot clean, I remove a 1/3 of the layer of aspen and any other soiled sections. If it is really bad I wrap up that section and replace it, quite simple really. Because my cage is now quite big, I do not have to clean it out as often either. I clean the top level once a week because they kick the aspen down to the bottom level even though their is a ramp, and the bottom level every second week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.