Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Hemp + wood pellet?

Helen.k

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I have been using fleece for sometimes now and recently my piggies is really been peeing on same spot and sit on the same spot causes their fur soak wet and smells.
I read the article about combining hemp + wood pellet could be the best bedding and I wanted to try.

But how long do I have to change/renew for this kind of bedding? I don't think I can know the right time to change or it's more like keep removing the soaked pellet and top up with new?

I'm not sure about the hemp. Most people I know that use wood pellets just lay fleece overtop. There are MANY threads here about wood pellets. From what I understand the pellets can last months and you just simply swap out the fleece every couple of days.

Hmm.. Sounds like something I can try out too 🤔 thanks for the sharing!

I will also have to try it for my pigs to give it see this way

I'm the one that came up with this combo. I believe it is better than just using wood pellets or pellets and fleece. I've tested the hemp/pine pellet combo with a pricey ammonia meter for months as well as measured absorption rates and amounts.

Pine wood pellets are still wood. Pine. With phenols which are irritants. I think most people who use straight pine add a generous amount of loose hay on top to help mitigate that. You really don't want to be putting your nose and mouth on a raw pine sawdust pillow. Hemp, on the other hand, has no phenols, just a farm grass kind of smell. It's a soft plant. There are no curly cues that catch on any fabric. It's not super absorbent, so doesn't absorb quickly, which is key to keeping them dry on top.

The urine drips down pretty quickly to the pine pellets that absorb slowly from the bottom up. The hemp stays dry on top and suppresses the pine phenols and blocks ammonia that does build up over time in the wet pellets. In measuring the ammonia levels in a big cage with just two pigs, there most definitely is a conversion of urea/uric acid to ammonia after time in the wood pellets. I think it's not noticed as much by us humans because it's mixing in with the pine odor which is fine to us.

Refreshing is easy. Wear gloves or not, it's easy to just scoop out any wet spots. Maybe you throw a handful or two or three down of new pellets and a few handfuls of hemp on top. Maybe you just need to stir it up a little. Maybe just a little hemp. Maybe just a few pellets and you have enough hemp in there. You get the hang of it.

It's my feeling that fleece is fine for the rest of the cage, but the whole point of using disposable bedding in the kitchen area is so that the poo pellets can get mixed in with the bedding and dry out more, and they don't have to walk around on wet poos. Pure fleece is an unnatural environment. With hemp, they can have something more natural to hang out on/in.

Anyway, I'm really tired of cleaning cages (20+ years), and once I found this combo, I've never looked back, and I think I've tried them all. I've been using it for years now. It feels like a win/win combo for them and me. I highly recommend it. But, all that said, everyone's situation is a little different, and you have to do what works best for you.

I do find you have to give any new bedding changes like that about 6 months to try out. It can take that long for pigs to adjust their habits. So, whatever path you go, give it time before you decide if it's good or needs adjusting. :)

I'm the one that came up with this combo. I believe it is better than just using wood pellets or pellets and fleece. I've tested the hemp/pine pellet combo with a pricey ammonia meter for months as well as measured absorption rates and amounts.

Pine wood pellets are still wood. Pine. With phenols which are irritants. I think most people who use straight pine add a generous amount of loose hay on top to help mitigate that. You really don't want to be putting your nose and mouth on a raw pine sawdust pillow. Hemp, on the other hand, has no phenols, just a farm grass kind of smell. It's a soft plant. There are no curly cues that catch on any fabric. It's not super absorbent, so doesn't absorb quickly, which is key to keeping them dry on top.

The urine drips down pretty quickly to the pine pellets that absorb slowly from the bottom up. The hemp stays dry on top and suppresses the pine phenols and blocks ammonia that does build up over time in the wet pellets. In measuring the ammonia levels in a big cage with just two pigs, there most definitely is a conversion of urea/uric acid to ammonia after time in the wood pellets. I think it's not noticed as much by us humans because it's mixing in with the pine odor which is fine to us.

Refreshing is easy. Wear gloves or not, it's easy to just scoop out any wet spots. Maybe you throw a handful or two or three down of new pellets and a few handfuls of hemp on top. Maybe you just need to stir it up a little. Maybe just a little hemp. Maybe just a few pellets and you have enough hemp in there. You get the hang of it.

It's my feeling that fleece is fine for the rest of the cage, but the whole point of using disposable bedding in the kitchen area is so that the poo pellets can get mixed in with the bedding and dry out more, and they don't have to walk around on wet poos. Pure fleece is an unnatural environment. With hemp, they can have something more natural to hang out on/in.

Anyway, I'm really tired of cleaning cages (20+ years), and once I found this combo, I've never looked back, and I think I've tried them all. I've been using it for years now. It feels like a win/win combo for them and me. I highly recommend it. But, all that said, everyone's situation is a little different, and you have to do what works best for you.

I do find you have to give any new bedding changes like that about 6 months to try out. It can take that long for pigs to adjust their habits. So, whatever path you go, give it time before you decide if it's good or needs adjusting. :)
I'm very much grateful for your sharing of years experience on this matter. 😊 I did try out a small corner of the cage that I have some loose hay on top of pine wood pellet, it works okay but it's hard to clean with the hays covered on them.

But too bad, I couldn't found any hemp bedding for small animals in my country.. Or maybe they goes with different name..

Thinking to try another combination which I saw from the internet too, that people use pine wood pellet underneath of softwood flakes which go with the brand name COSYFLOCK® animal bedding. Let me know your thoughts about this? 😇

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.