Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Before and after cages

Emmett

Cavy Slave
Months back I built a new cage for a pet supplies store's guinea pigs. They do not sell guinea pigs anymore but have five old boars that have been at the store all their lives. Most were born there and had never lived in any place but their small cages. I couldn't take it any longer and offered to build the cages if they paid for the coroplast, grids and wheels. I got the wood for free. It took me many weekends but to see the old guys run around and sort of popcorn it was well worth it. Since I took the pictures I built 2 duplex hidey houses so everyone has a place of their own. It has worked out well for everyone, the disabled girl that cleans the cages, the owner because the cages can be rolled and it's easier to clean under them, me because I'm given breaks on carefresh and the especially the piggies who now can run around and exercise. In a perfect world the cage would be bigger but it's so much better than the tiny cages they lived in for up to 6 years.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
It was very nice of you to build them a cage. It looks very nice. So do they keep those guineapigs there or waiting for them to go to a home? It's nice they don't sell them anymore though.

Emmett

Cavy Slave
The old boars are there permanently. I think the owner would let someone have them if she knew they would have a good home but for all purposes they are there forever. One was sold twice but was brought back everytime for biting. None of them are very well socialized as they are only picked up 3 times a week when their cage is cleaned or when I trim their nails.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I'm sure they appreciate the difference you've made in their previously miserable lives! Kudos for caring enough to do something about it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.