Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the family

• Thread starter halloweensmommy
  • Start date

halloweensmommy

Cavy Slave
Hi all,
We got a new member to our family Saturday. A guinea pig, we named Halloween.
I'm new to this, i never had a guinea pig before, actually growing up didn't have anything but outside dog or cat. Luckily my husband has had guinea pigs before.
I'm sure I'll be here asking lots of questions, and getting lots of information. If i put a question in the wrong place I apologize now.
After reading here i realize we shouldn't have gotten him at a pet store, but thats where I fell in love with him at. He is very scared, and when we try to hold him, he nips at us. So we are trying to work on this, getting him not to nip at us, any thoughts on this? I'm also trying to talk to him, so hes not so scared and hides all the time.

thank you,
Margie

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
If you got him from a pet store, he is probably quite young still and hasn't been properly socialized. Young piggies have a tendency to nibble on things to see if they are food or not, and he is probably still scared of people. Take it slow and give him lots of veggies to help him associate you with positive things. It will take time, but you will win him over eventually. Check in the "Diet and Nutrition" forum to find info on what to feed, and how often. Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig is another great site to look through for more information. And when you are ready to find a friend for your little guy, you can try using (broken link removed) it is a great resource that lists animals up for adoption in your area.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! :)

halloweensmommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you.
I talked to the pet store, and they told me the have no guinea pigs over 6 months, so I'm assuming hes around 5 or 6 months then, but who knows with them.
Thank you for the links. I printed off the food list so I know what to get him.

Hes starting to get used to me but still very scared. Just got everything we needed to make him a larger cage, i know he'll be VERY happy when we get it done. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

Margie

Guinea_Piggin

Cavy Slave
First off, welcome!

A good way to get your piggy used to you is food. They're very easily bribed with fresh veggies. With the links Envisionary333 gave you, there's also a fruit and veggie list on GuineaLynx: Guinea Lynx :: Vegetable and Fruit Charts

halloweensmommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the link also.
He does love his veggies, so bribing is good to know. The stuff to teach him, sound so much like with a toddler, almost like having a baby again. He is getting used to me, i do give him a piece of veggie out of my hand, at every meal. Thank you both for the help.

margie

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.