Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

look at my improved cage!

jpast45

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I just finished renovating my guinea pig's cage, and i want to know what you think about it.

I used a full grid bent in half for support to the lower level, then used mats for the flooring of the various levels so i can take them out, spray them down, and dry them for easy washing.
now with their toilet (green thing in the back corner)covered, hopefully now they will actually use it, since they are still really jumpy
To top it all off, to hold the bottom level onto the cage, i used a velcro-style cable tie, so to clean the cage i just have to remove the tie, fold it up, and clip it there while i'm cleaning, then just lower it back down! Ingenious! let me know what you think.:tearsofjo

links to pics:
https://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u206/mmmboyzz/IMG_3993.jpg

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Overall your cage looks great, but there a just a few areas that might be unsafe. Your ramp has lots of sharp edges that could harm your piggies. The best way to make it safe would be to use wire-cutters to clip off the parts that stick out, then sand those down until it feels smooth. Also, the bottom of your ramp might be hard to climb since the mat only partially covers the wire. The piggies might be scared to use it, or worse they could get their feet stuck and be injured. You might want to cut the shower mat in half and cover the whole ramp from top to bottom with the two parts. Also, you should consider adding some walls to the ramp so they can't fall off. You might be able to bend the wire up to modify the current ramp.

jpast45

Cavy Slave
it wasnt finished yet in that picture. since i took that, i bent the ramp to give it a side rail, and secured the mat to the ramp, making it completely covered. you may also notice the mats on the top level do not fit very snugly. I cut them to fit as well.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Ok, sorry, I was confused because you said in your first post that you just finished it- I'm guessing you forget to mention that there was still work to be done. I'm glad to fixed those problems and I'm sure your piggies love the cage.

jpast45

Cavy Slave
well, they're reluctant to go into the house on the second level, but every once in a while they run around the bottom of the cage squaking and popcorning, so i think they just have to get used to it.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Ya it might be awhile till they get used of things but I'm sure they will eventually.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.