Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pig eating hair

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I noticed the other day that April has been eating Pumpkins hair. She is pulling her hair out and than eats it. Why would she be doing this? I'm afraid that April is going to end up with this huge hairball in her tummy. What can I do to stop her from doing this? She is only eating Pumpkins hair and no one elses. Poor Pumpkin is not the least bit impressed with April doing this.

^dawn^

Cavy Slave
Last edited:

brian89

Cavy Slave
I think you should seperate april from the others until you can figure out the problem

Good luck!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's called barbering. Guinea Lynx :: Hair Loss

I don't think there are specific reasons they do it. My Moppy gets barbered by her cagemates all the time. She's a silkie and used to have the most beautiful long hair but now she has a funky hairdo. The good news is I've never had any of the girls get hairballs from doing it and they've done it for a couple years now. They may do it out of boredom, cage ranking (like the most submissive is picked on or barbered) or for any other reason. Maybe they like the taste of hair vs. hay, I dunno. I just know they like to make my Moppy squeal when they barber her.

I think you should seperate april from the others until you can figure out the problem
It sounds as if you know little about pigs. I hope you came her to learn more. You should never separate unless there is bloodshed or a very contagious illness or surgeries.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
For a while Lona was barbering Pumpkin on the back of her neck. Pumpkin had these short gnawed off hairs that was quite noticable. April is just pulling locks of long hairs and eating it. would this be the same as barbering? I know with barbering there is no rhyme or reason for it other than just doing it. Maybe she is just jealous because Pumpkin has such beautiful hair:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.