Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to pick your first Cavy?

cajun_cavy

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone my name is Dee and I need a little help. I have been researching owning a guinea pig for a while now and have decided to get one for my 8 year old daughter. I will of course be the primary caregiver to the new family member.

I have had hamsters, rabbits, dogs, cats, etc. So having a new addition to our family will not be a burden. The new piggie will be the sole animal in the house, so that is not a problem.

Here are my questions:

1. Male or Female? I have read that males will attach more to the human parent more than females.

2. What is the best way to choose a new piggie? I mean in the sense of personality. I have always chosen animals that aren't afraid to greet you the first time.

3. Hay is readily available where I live. I was wondering if my next door neighbors hay bails are good to use? He sells his hay to local cattlemen in the area.

4. After taking the new arrival home, how long should we leave him/her to acclomate to our house. I have read to basically leave them alone for at least a day, is this correct?

5. Finally, what are safe products for him/her to chew and gnaw? I never purchased the dyed chews for my hamsters, because nobody could say if the dye was harmful to the little guys and I didn't want to take the chance.

Thanks so much,

Dee

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I see you have the name Cajun Cavy? Are you in Louisiana?

If so I have in foster 2 lovely, sweet, friendly females needing homes. Another member here has 2 males that need new homes and a 3rd person has 3 females (I believe). Right now is a great time to find a GP to adopt in the New Orleans area.

As far as your questions

1. Male or Female? - It doesn't really matter. Both sexes are wonderful.

2. What is the best way to choose a new piggie? - I always go by who needs me most. Healthy is always a plus but a needy pig is a great pet indeed.

3. Hay is readily available where I live. I was wondering if my next door neighbors hay bails are good to use? - Probably fine as long as it's a grass hay and not alfalfa.

4. After taking the new arrival home, how long should we leave him/her to acclomate to our house. - A day or 2 is usually good. During that time spoil them with veggies and spend time sitting by the cage talking to the pigs while they eat to get them used to your sight, small and sound.

5. Finally, what are safe products for him/her to chew and gnaw? - GPs aren't big chewers. They rarely want to use chew toys. The best things for them are LOTS of fresh hay, and maybe a toy or two along with a hidey house each.

EDIT - Oh yeah, sorry to be rude (I haven't had enough coffe yet). Welcome to the forums.

Last edited:

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
1. Male or Female? I have read that males will attach more to the human parent more than females.
This is not true. Pigs are going to have different personalities and temperaments just as any dog, cat, child would regardless of gender. I have 3 sows and 4 boars. One boar and one sow are both very tame and friendly, the others are all a little more work but getting better each day.
Boars might scent mark, to me it is pretty unnoticeable, but if you have anyone with a sensitive nose in the home, you may want to consider this factor.
Otherwise I can't really give any one gender over the other recommendation.

2. What is the best way to choose a new piggie? I mean in the sense of personality. I have always chosen animals that aren't afraid to greet you the first time.
With pigs you can't go in with a false hope. Fact is, guinea pigs are prey animals and most are going to be timid, skiddish, and a little bit flighty, ecspecially when you first meet them. How much they tame to you depends on how much you handle them, and bribe them with veggies from your hand. It usually isn't an immediate or even quick process.

3. Hay is readily available where I live. I was wondering if my next door neighbors hay bails are good to use? He sells his hay to local cattlemen in the area.
As long as it is grass hay, has at least some green coloring to it, and is dry/mold free it should be fine. It may depend on your pigs. Mine absolutely despise the bales of bermuda hay that are available around me.

4. After taking the new arrival home, how long should we leave him/her to acclomate to our house. I have read to basically leave them alone for at least a day, is this correct? Personal choice, really. I have always handled mine right off the bat, even the babies that were born. You might want to wait on picking them up and actually handling them for a day or so. But, I would try hand feeding them a little from the get go, to help them feel comfortable. Most importantly, provide plenty of places to hide so they feel secure as they get used to their new home.

5. Finally, what are safe products for him/her to chew and gnaw? I never purchased the dyed chews for my hamsters, because nobody could say if the dye was harmful to the little guys and I didn't want to take the chance.
Some are chewers, most aren't. I have a few of both. Cardboard boxes, toilet paper rolls, and pesticide free apple tree limbs are good choices if you have chewers. A lot of owners provide sturdy cat balls, small stuffed animals and hanging bird toys for toys. Their favorite thing to chew on and play in, is hay.

cajun_cavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the help.

I do live in Louisiana and actually this is I guess a rescue of sorts. A friend of mine told me about her neighbor that bought a piggie from the pet store and got a few extra surprises that she didn't expect nor wanted. She called me and asked if I knew of anyone that would take a piggie and we decided that we wanted to take one or maybe two. From what I have read, it seems that they do best in multiples. I just want to make sure that we have everything in place before getting it (them) home.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.