Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lonely Guinea Pig?

gottagowdw

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I made the mistake of adopting only one guinea pig four years ago. Is it too late to introduce her to a new one? She seems happy enough and it may just be my own guilt that she would like a friend, but I will add another one if anyone has had any luck introducing a new one to one this age.

Thanks for the input.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Yeah, a new piggy friend is a very good idea and I'm sure your piggy will love it. I think, but don't quote me on it, that it is best to get a young guinea pig because there is more chance that they will get on with one another.

What is your guinea pig called?

gottagowdw

Cavy Slave
Her name is Rosie. She is housed in our family room so there is lots going on for her and she is beside two chinchillas. I always try to adopt two at a time and the guilt has caught up to me! :sad:

gottagowdw

Cavy Slave
I don't think I posted this in the correct area?? Sorry!!

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
That's okay, I'm sure someone can fix it. Just post stuff like this in 'cavy chat' next time. I don't think it's ever too late to get your pig a friend.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I just want to caution you that a friend is not ALWAYS going to be well received. I have noticed that nearly everyone on this forum is quick to advise everyone to get a friend for their single pig. When I got my first pig I adopted a 4 year old. I came on this forum and asked everyone if it's too late or if I should get a friend. All responses said get her a friend. Let me tell you, it was a disaster! The first friend had to be removed because the older pig left actual bleeding wounds. We tried it again with a different pig, and experienced more royal rumbling than the first time. This pig now lives happily on her own. I think she was so used to having her own space and not sharing veggies etc that she didn't want to give that up. I know all pigs are different, but I wanted to let you know what happened to me. Is there a way you could "test the waters" with another pig and see if they get along? Maybe someone here has an idea of how this could be done. Do you have any friends with guinea pigs you could "borrow"?

gottagowdw

Cavy Slave
That is a fear of mine. She has hung out with our chinchillas and she is interested in them, but they don't like her. Same with our dwarf rabbit (whose brother died recently!). I guess I am going to try, a friend of mine who works with an animal rescue group, just so happens to have a baby female in need of a home, and if it doen't work out then I will just add another cage.

Cross your fingers!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
A younger sow like that would probably be ideal. Obviously, there is still the chance that it wouldn't work if she is set in her ways from being alone for so long, but with a baby to teach and show the ropes, you have a much better chance than if you adopted one closer to her own age.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I will definately cross my fingers!! I do hope it works out for you. I have two seperate cages even though they are all females and I'm always thinking it would be so much easier to take care of if they could all live in one cage. I hope your pig isn't as grumpy as mine and embraces a new companion! Let us know how it all turns out.

wierdo4life

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig was about three years old when I adopted a friend for him. I adopted a pig who was a little under a year. They got along great and he's much happier now, but I guess it depends a lot on the personality of your current pig and the one you adopt. You could see if you could take Rosie to the shelter and see if she gets along with some of guinea pigs up for adoption. Thats what I did with my pig. Good luck with finding Rosie a friend!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Make sure you give it plenty of time before you give up though (unless someone's bleeding). When I adopted a second pig, the first one seemed to HATE her, and I was not happy with the situation either. But within a month, they became really good buddies, and now they are very much bonded. So even if it seems to be not working out too well, give it more time and maybe it'll get better. Good luck!!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
You could see if you could take Rosie to the shelter and see if she gets along with some of guinea pigs up for adoption

I would not do this; it would stress Rosie out, which will make her personality different from normal, and it could potentially expose her to disease.

Mummy

Cavy Slave
I've put pigs together who had lived alone all their lives, and almost all have worked out well. I have one sow who was bossy with other pigs, but has come to life with a very young baby, and they get along very well.

Make sure you have a big enough cage. If you adopt from a rescue, you should be able to try the pigs together first. I usually have adopters come here with their pig and then give the pigs floortime together to see how they get along. This arrangement also allows me to see which is the best match.

Don't take your pig anywhere that she could be exposed to either illness or mites!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.