Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chips or no chips.

falken

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone i saw this on the internet.

I'm glad you decided to ask me, because there are a couple things you should know. FIRSTLY, WOOD CHIPS are a terribly bedding for guinea pigs. It's not comfortable for them to walk on, not good for them to eat (they will always eat a bit of their bedding) as it can make them choke, and it also contains aromatic oils in it which when eaten in large quantities, can kill pigs. A MUCH safer and cheaper option would be pine shavings. It's soft for them to walk on. Aspen shaving would be good (not the chips), and CareFresh is the best possible thing but it is expensive. Guinea pigs can walk on top of any of the bedding that i mentioned.

I was wondering if pine of aspen is better. He also mentioned somthing about
aspen (not the chips) what is beter for your pigs(and mine) pine or aspen(not ships).Also how much is the price to aspen (not the chips).

Herbie Girl

Cavy Slave
I heard pine is bad too. I would only go with aspen or carefresh.

Becky

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
Kiln dried pine is fine to use.

Herbie Girl

Cavy Slave
Is there a difference between kiln dried and regular or do they just sell kiln dried pine? Just curious.

Becky

Kriket

Cavy Slave
I think there is a difference. Non KD pine has a very strong pine smell to it. BUT. If you let it air out, it should be ok.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I rarely find any that is specifically marked kiln dried. If it doesn't say kiln dried, dump it into a box and let it air out for a few days. Dig through the pine chips each time you walk by it to make sure everything gets aired.

laura220

Cavy Slave
KD pine is baked to remove the aromatic oils and make it safe for small pets. Plain pine hasn't been dried out to remove the oils.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
KD pine still has oils in it. If the wood has a smell the oils are still there. Kd pine is definitly a better choice than cedar( which we all know is horrible), but as far as wood shavings go aspen would be the best.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I really need to get the link to that study back. It's on my other computer that died. Anyway there's a rat study that showed rats kept on even kiln dried pine still had increased liver enzymes even though they weren't as high as plain pine or cedar. Liver damage is one side effect of keeping animals on cedar or non kiln dried pine. Pine also still causes allergy and respiratory problems in humans or sensitive animals even when kiln dried or turned into pine pellets which are suppose to have no oils. Personally I do not recommend even kiln dried pine or some pine pellets with stronger smells. I would use aspen or paper based beddings.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Falken, next time you post something here from another internet site, please include the link to the site where you got it from. Thanks.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Thanks for posting the link, but I am definately not a dude.

falken

Cavy Slave
Oh sorry about that..

I call everyone a dude.
Even my mom.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
LOL, when I saw that you called Ly a dude I thought that was pretty funny. Other than that I have nothing to add to this thred. Except maybe that even some people find regular pine heard to be around, think of the piggies and their super sensitive smell! I know someone who has sneezing fits when she's near it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.