Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about remodeling my cage

Marlania

Cavy Slave
I want to change my cage completely so I can house everyone together and take in my friend's single pig whose buddy recently died from lung cancer. Right now, the boys are housed in a 2x4 C&C cage with a 1x2 sleepy loft. That cage is built on top of the girls' cage, which is identical. After Permanent's ovarian cysts/spay situation is finished, and she's recovered (along with my pocketbook lol), I'm having my boys neutered. So this plan is a long way off because Perm needs healing time and the boys would need 3 weeks to a month to heal before introductions. So assuming all this goes to plan and introductions work out, there would be four pigs living together (2 neutered males, 1 spayed female, 1 unaltered female). If the other pig, Milky Way, comes to live with me, that'll add an extra unaltered female.

What suggestions do you guys have for me? Like I said, this isn't going to happen for a while because Perm has to get through her battle and the boys have to be neutered before any of this can take place. But I would like to know what size cage you'd recommend. I'd like to add a loft, so I want something with more than one floor, but I want the bottom part of the cage to be to be nice and open (so Brett can stop complaining about how hard it is for him to access the girls' cage). Any suggestions, comments, etc.?

Oh, one more thing. Could I put together both sheets of chloroplast for the base of the cage? I don't think I will because the boys have green chloroplast and the girls have red, and I don't want to see a Christmas-looking cage everytime I come in the room. :crazy: But if I would a piece of the old chloroplast for the loft area and have to combine something, how would I do that, and how well would it hold together?

Thanks!

Won't the 2 boys still fight over the girls? I heard you couldn't put 2 neutered or un boys in with less then 3 girls.

laura220 said:
Won't the 2 boys still fight over the girls? I heard you couldn't put 2 neutered or un boys in with less then 3 girls.

This won't work. You can have 1 male with multiple females, but not the other way around. They will fight, badly, and you will end up with a very bad situation. You shoule not even have 2 males if the females out number them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.