Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I Think I am Lossing Larry.....

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
I have a called into our vet. Awaiting a return call.

Larry, appears to be dying. Doing everything I can for him right now.

Yesterday I noticed Larry's respirations was rather jerky. I listen to his lungs with my stereoscope and his lungs were clear. No drainage from his eyes or nose. Not impaction. Eating declined. And activity level was down.

This afternoon, the respirations are increasing more labored. Continues to have clear lungs. More lethargic than yesterday. He is not responding to normal cage stimuli. (Fizbit can come up to him and run off, and Larry, who normally would chase Fizbit, just lays with little movement.) -- He is eating a bit, but marked decreased appetite.

The symptoms are Almost a "ditto" of Smudge just before he passed away from old age. :weepy:

((((( I'll do *whatever* I can to help Larry. )))))

Larry could use some positive thoughts, and prayers coming his way.

I'll keep you posted. (Heart Break Here)

I am so sorry. You guys are all in my prayers. I hope everything turns out ok.

That is so sad. I will definately be thinking about Larry. I know you will do everything you can for him, as I have seen your kindness and compassion in many other threads. I am so worried when it is time for my girls to cross the rainbow bridge. Best of luck.

that's so sad :weepy:

I will keep Larry in my prayers...

please let us know how he is doing--

Pauli

Oh, Debbie, I am so very sorry. Prayers and healing thoughts are going your way for Larry.

I'm extremely sorry. I hope that he's just feeling off, he could get better! Just the thought of one of my cavies dying makes me cry. It must be hard for you.

I'm so sorry honey... you and he will be in my thoughts.

Sarah

Poor Poor Larry. :weepy:

I know how attached you are to your pigs, just like ever member of this forum (Maybe even more) and my heart breaks hearing this happening to you.

My heart is breaking for you and scott. :weepy:

LuvMyPiggers

I am so sorry you're having to go through this. I'm praying for you guys. Hang in there.

Poor Larry. Healing wishes coming your way.

I'm so sorry.... Well wishes from Texas.

Becky

Debbie-Here's hoping Larry pulls through. *postive vibes* being sent your way!! Keep us updated. I'm sure you're doing everything you can.

Update...

The vet pretty much echoed what I already thought. Just to be on the safe side she went ahead and placed him on Baytil just in case there is a slight chance that he has an infection. However she thinks it is just age. She thinks Larry is older than 4 years.

All the vet had on hand was Baytil injectable, and I didn't want to *hurt* Larry with a needle if his diagnosis is simply old age. (I want him to be as comfortable as possible, no pain.) So I am giving him the injectable Baytil orally, mixed with Critical Care. It's kind of bitter, but I topped it off with a sprig of parsley to get the aftertaste out of his mouth.

I don't want to take Larry out of the cage and place him in the hospital cage. If he is dying of old age, I would rather he be with his cage buddies and not shoved off in some strange cage without his friends.

I hope to heaven I am making the right call on not isolating him.
I'll kick myself "Big Time" if all the boys get sick.

Larry isn't hiding in a corner. He is laying out in the middle of the cage just watching Oscar and Fizbit run around him.

He is still pooping, and peeing, but his sphincter (rectum) is loose and open. Lung sounds are still good, but breathing is really labored. And it is obvious that it's an effort for him to move much. He doesn't appear to be suffering though.

This is killing a part of me watching him.
Sometimes I wish I didn't have such a tender heart.

Thank you for all the kind support. It really helps.

Get Well Soon, Larry!

Give him lots of love and extra attention. I know it's hard to deal with but maybe he will make a recovery and be his old self again soon. If not, then know you have given him a great life and a great home. I wouldn't separate either. Let him be with his buddies.

I'm so sorry to hear about your pig; I had my pig Punker pass away last Christmas. He was almost 6, and also had symptoms of laboured breathing.

I'm really sorry to hear that you might be losing him, but consider it a comfort knowing that it's coming; being with him to the end will be a wonderful thing for the both of you. I knew Punker was dying and really wanted to be with him, but unfortunately I was away on the day it happened, and I really, really regret it, because I would have loved to be there.

I'm sure you gave Larry a wonderful life and being there will ease the transition for both of you. You've done all you can for him and all you can do now is help him with the final step. I hope this helps.

I agree with Ly. If it is old age, I'm sure he's more comfortable being with his friends. Know that you have shown him so much love since you've had him. I'm praying he makes a full and quick recovery. God be with you, Debbie.

Jenn

Good luck Larry. Give him lots of hugs for me.
Well, if it's old age, you can be happy to know that he has lived a long life, so you must have given him lots of care.

Thinking of you. I hope he does recover, but all you can do is hold him and keep him warm and comfortable.

Best Wishe to you and Larry. I hope he feels better.

At least you gave him the best life he could have, with a loving owner asnd some piggie friends.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.