Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Advice for single pig

ShellyAnn47

Cavy Gazer
Through a neighborhood website, I adopted our first GP. A man found him in a ditch while walking his son to school. Come to find out another of our neighbors was trying to get rid of both her boys through this same website a couple months back.... I compared pics and found that the one abandoned was indeed one of hers. So I assume she found someone to take one, and then ditched this one. Long story short, I visited him and fell in love. A very sweet young boy.

SO NOW we are trying to make this work. We don't have a lot of space. I have a crate that barely meets the size standards that I've read about. I have a 11 and 14 year old boy who are thrilled about the new addition. We've googled and googled about how and what to feed, what kind of bedding and toys are best, etc. We do floor time every day and they each hold him 2-3 times a day. We pass by and talk to him regularly.

It's only been 3 days. He seems happy, eating very well, and makes his chirpy noises when we pet and feed him.

I've read and read about how it's best to have 2. Just looking for any advice on how having a single can work. I'm also very worried about introducing another male, and them not getting along.

Thank you so much for any and all advice!

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
The best solution would still be to get another guinea pig since humans are no replacement for a guinea pig pal.

However, for just a single pig, I'd suggest you spend lots of time with him. And lots as in an hour or more. You'll need to set aside quite a bit of time for your single piggie. Also, make sure there is something interesting and enriching for him to play with every day so he isn't bored when you are at work or when your kids are at school.

Floor times, lap time, and talking to him are all great ideas. You can also try letting your guinea pig roam around in a small room (just make sure it's guinea pig safe) for a few hours while you're at home and let him explore and play. I've seen people on YouTube making mazes, cardboard palaces, and other DIY toys for their guinea pigs (make sure there's no tape or toxic glue though) that they give their pigs during floor time.

Anyways that just my advice. In conclusion, just make sure they are in an interesting environment to try and make up for the lack of another guinea pig.

Spartan021

Cavy Slave
I recently got a single pig he was ok being by himself he's quite and we got him a pal and they bonded instantly. Advice for single pig Try craigslist. that's where my two came from. they were free, running around homeless for a month some scuffs but they are in perfect health. im getting two more from the same person and they're all four purebred pigs

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Adding onto what Spartan021 said, you can also adopt guinea pigs from shelters, which is the best choice, but some people do find the paperwork to be a bit too tedious. Petfinder and Kijiji are also other alternatives if you are able to accommodate another pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.