Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any Tips for Someone (semi)New to Guinea Pigs?

Bluey

Cavy Gazer
I am getting one(hopefully two) in about 3 months-ish. I had a boar named Blaze that passed away about two years ago and lived to be at least 9(we were told he was at least one when we got him). Being that it's been a couple years I'm completely starting from scratch and have been completely overwhelmed (and slightly guilty about not knowing any better) with all that goes into caring for a guinea pig. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for the initial setup for guinea pig and suggestions for food/hay/toys/etc. for the incoming guinea pig(s)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome! And thanks for doing your research BEFORE you get your pigs rather than after.

The first thing we'd say is, don't buy pigs from a pet store or breeder. Pet store pigs, in particular, are often sick, have parasites, are missexed, and the baby sows are pregnant. There are thousands of unwanted pigs in rescues and shelters, and if you take one of them, you'll give that pig a good home and free up a safe space for another unwanted pig.

Next, make sure your cage is big enough. See the Main tab at the top of this page for cage sizes, and remember those are recommended minimums. Bigger is always better.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Every week/month put away small amounts of money into a savings account and later when one of your pigs need's a vet you can take the money out of the savings account.

Bluey

Cavy Gazer
I never even thought of that!! I definately start doing that for both the guinea pigs and the various other animals we have.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Along with vets, and I don't know if this was mentioned in one of Bpatters's links, but make sure you have a certified exotic vet near you! Many dog and cat vets don't know much about guinea pigs, and could prescribe the wrong medicine, give wrong information etc. Try to make sure you have one BEFORE getting the piggies.

For pellets get a good quality brand like KMS or Oxbow. Don't get anything with seeds, nuts, or colored bits.

A lot of people like using KMS and Small Pet Select hay, which you can order online. For hay you can buy at the store I like using All Living Things from PetSmart or Pet Supplies Plus hay bales. I also recommend a hay rack or hay bag, which will make your cage a lot less messy and waste less hay.

You can make DIY toys out of toilet paper rolls and hidey houses out of cardboard boxes. Both are very budget friendly!

Good luck with your pigs!

Tam Piggy love

Cavy Slave
I know you have to be excited about the arrival of your new babies! After having a piggy in your family, you can't be without them! The cage is very important. And it can be fun to design and set up their new home. A lot of space is needed. You also need to decide what kind of bedding you want to use. Fleece is my bedding of choice, but it's not for everyone. Do some research to determine what will be best for you. Also, decide if you want to keep boars or sows. The cage set up requirements are slightly different for males. They are more territorial and I would recommend a little more space for them. You will need 2 of everything for males, and houses should have multiple entries/exits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.