Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Skinny pig

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I have never had a skinny pig before and was wondering if I had to do anything different, care wise, for him? A woman local to me has him and has him outside. :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Keeping him outside was awful, especially in Louisiana. He'd be prime fire ant bait, if nothing else.

Skinnies need a place to get warm. I assume you've moved him inside, so I'd make sure no A/C vent is blowing directly on the cage, and I'd keep fleece hideys where he can get in them when he wants.

They also eat more than regular pigs, because it takes more energy to stay warm. And, you guessed it -- they poop more.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Why on earth does she have him outside? Definitely want to keep any pets inside.. Make sure he has cuddle sacks he can go into or shove some fleece scraps into a plastic house or box. I also have a space heater in my skinny's room that automatically comes on and off to keep the room a steady 23° C.

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
She says she doesnt like any animals in her house. I'm still trying to set up a time to meet with her
She sent me videos of him with his mom and siblings ( at the original owners home) and they were in c&c cages with fleece liners so i have no idea why she has him now....
She did say she has sweaters for him and will give them to me along with him once we can meet.

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
This is him, his name is Dobby

Skinny pig

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Aw, poor little baby. Very cute. I wonder if something happened to the original owner, or if they just weren't thorough enough about re-homing? :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking honestly the original owner is a breeder. The lady that has him currently sent pictures of him with his mom and siblings

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I put.him in a 2x3 temporary c&c cage and he squeezed out!!! So i have him in a store bought cage for now....but how do i keep him in once I get coroplast?? He will be 8 weeks old on Friday.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh, I've never heard of that happening, how on Earth?!

You can double up on grids to make the holes smaller, or make the coroplast walls a couple inches higher (8-10in from the top of the bedding) in order to baby-proof your cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you baby-proof the grids? You have to keep baby pigs in the cage until they're too large to get their heads stuck in the holes. You can line the cage with cardboard or coroplast, or, if you've got enough grids, overlap them so the holes are only half the normal size.

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I didn't even think he could squeeze through! Once I get some coroplast I'll just double up the grids to keep him in. I think he wanted to be with our other two piggies we already have in the next room. He was acting all crazy beforehand and was chewing on the bars of the grids. :/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.