Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Crystals in Urine

subapeg

Cavy Slave
I have a guinea pig I adopted from an owner who couldn't afford to take her to the vet.

She recovered from having teeth issues due to a poor diet and is close to a normal weight.

Now 4 months after I have her she started urinating blood. I took her to the vet and they said she has a high amount of crystals in her urine causing irritation and bleeding.

She is on an antibiotic for 10 days and if the bleeding doesn't improve she needs an xray.

So far the bleeding is much better but I am trying to find out why she had these crystals in the first place.

She gets fed Orchard Grass, Oxbow Adult Pellets, Romaine lettuce every day, and green bell pepper and carrots.

So far from my research I am going to cut out the romaine, what should I replace that with?

Also I started giving her filtered water.

If anyone else has any tips please let me know.

Replace it with red or green leaf lettuce.

But she needs an X-ray NOW. There's no guarantee that just because she has crystals she doesn't also have stones. And a stone that falls into the urethra and blocks it is a painful, expensive, medical emergency.

The best you can do is a low calcium diet and tend to the urinary crystals issue, which you're already doing. Some pigs are just prone to bladder stones, and you can't prevent them no matter what you do. Others can recover after one stone and not have any more problems for years.

Good luck with her, and let us know how she gets along.

Seconding everything bpatters said, and best wishes, and thank you for taking her in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.