Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated No money for vet..What should I do? Please help

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone.

So, some of you might remember this from a previous post, but I wanted to ask for some help again. So basically, one of my boys seemed to be limping last week; it was just his right back paw. I have no idea how it happened, but anyway, I asked my mom if we could drive him to the vet as soon as I noticed his leg. She said no. I asked again and again, but it was still the same answer. She kept saying that they didn't live a long life anyway, and that it was just a rodent. I really wish she was supportive of me owning guinea pigs; when she agreed to let me have them, she never mentioned that she wouldn't let me bring them to the vets in case of any injuries or illnesses. Someone suggested that I ask that he can be brought to the vet as a Christmas gift this year, and I did exactly that. And now, it's Christmas day, and the answer is still a no, this time because we cannot afford it. Instead of taking poor Flyn to the vet, she says to split the cage (I have 2 boars) and give Flyn time to heal on his own. Obviously, time can't fix a broken leg; he needs medicine or something to help him. And it gets much worse: a few days ago, I noticed that not only was he holding up his right back leg when walking/running, but ALSO his left front paw. So now, whenever he walks or runs, he holds his front paw up, but uses his back paw, which probably causes a lot of pain. Not only that, but Kasper seems to be bullying Flyn A LOT recently. I thought Flyn was the dominant one, but today, I caught Kasper forcing Flyn to move, biting his face and causing him to cry. I feel so bad :( It's REALLy frusturating that my mom doesn't care enough for this poor little animal.. I feel so bad that I'm not giving him the best life possible. So, what I really want to know is what should I do? I'm thinking of rehoming him to some one who can afford vet visits.. but then again, who will want an injured animal? And how can I be sure that whoever decides to adopt him will look after him the right way? I feed them good quality SPS hay and pellets, they get fresh water and veggies everyday. They live in a massive 8X2 cage... How can I be sure that he will be taken care of properly? Will anyone want to adopt him anyway, despite his injuries? Please help :( Thank you in advance..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to find a rescue in your area who will take him and give him the vet attention that he needs. You can look at www.petfinder.com for rescues in your area. And you can call vets in your city and ask if they know of someone who wil take him.

You can't be sure that whoever adopts him will take care of the right way. But in your situation, you can't take care of him either.

What city are you in or close to? We might be able to help you find somewhere to place him.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Thank you. We live in Round Lake, close to Chicago.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Cavies are herd animals, and because illness and injury can slow down the whole herd, healthy pigs will sometimes bully unwell ones. This explains Kasper's behavior, unfortunately.

bpatters' advice is good, I just wanted to weigh in on this part of your problem. Personally, in the meantime, I would put a divider in so that they can see each other and interact but not hurt each other. If Kasper hasn't drawn blood, though, it's up to you whether you think that's necessary. I just don't want Flyn to be hurt any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I completely agree with both responders before me. Unfortunately, the best option would be to give him up to a shelter who will pay for his vet visits. If you're lucky, they might make you a deal in which you can re-adopt him after he's well, but no guarantees. We all make mistakes with our animals, we understand. We just want to give your pig the best option. It doesn't mean you've failed as an owner or you should rehome Kasper, we simply want whats best for Flyn.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look on Petfinder for rescues in that area, There are several.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yes, I just got accepted to a college in Chicago and I was looking a couple weeks back, there are many many shelters around there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.