Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggie trying to nurse need advice

Piggienewbie510

Cavy Gazer
I am new to the world of guinea pigs. I got two little girls almost 3 weeks ago and got another one two days ago. She is an English crested and I had no idea she was so young. Brownie (like the treat:) ) is a sweetheart about Lady trying to nurse on her, but sometimes she gets annoyed and runs from the open area portion of the cage (12 square feet with plans to build a bigger one) and hides from Lady. Then Lady wanders around looking frantically through everything wheeking softly trying to find Brownie. She willingly takes vegetables and fruits and drinks water and eats hay and pellets, but I am concerned and it is heartbreaking to see her try to nurse on another Piggie not too much older than herself. Is there anything I can do?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, probably not. She was likely taken from her mother a bit too young. She should grow out of it as she gets older, and as long as she's eating well and there's no fighting it's not something to worry about, even if it does tug on your heartstrings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto. She'll be fine. And it would have been the same if your older pig had been her mom and decided to wean her.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
She should adjust quickly.

I brought a 5 week old home this summer and introduced her to two 2.5 year olds. She immediately took to the submissive pig and the baby would always want to be by her. In the first week or so I caught the baby trying to nurse from her a few times. Penelope was pretty good about the whole thing but did give Alice (the baby) a couple nips if she was too insistent.

Alice quickly learned that nursing wasn't going to happen and they have been happily living together for almost 6 months now with no issues.

Piggienewbie510

Cavy Gazer
Ok. I figured there wasn't anything I could do, and yes it really tugs at my heartstrings to see and hear her. And thankfully so far zero fights. I'm really glad I found this website, it has helped me so much! Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.