Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Red wounds on hindlegs

littlehangry

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

I just noticed that my guinea pig has these open wounds on his hindlegs! Not sure what is the cause of it and if it is serious and I should be worried??

I just got him a week ago and we had Revolution put on him so I think I can rule out mites and lice? He scratches and grooms around once or twice an hour, more grooming than scratching.. but not during laptime (which usually lasts an hour). Is that excessive scratching or grooming? Should I be worried?

There were maybe 5 black specks on the right side of his body, and more at his bum. Can't really see the left side where his fur is dark brown. I'm hoping it is just dirt? He has no bald patches yet.

Thanks all!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Looks like he's been biting at his foot.

When did he have the Revolution?

littlehangry

Cavy Slave
Okay he seems to be scratching every few minutes now, I will be bringing him to the vet... sigh I thought revolution was like a guaranteed repellant for the month :s

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's a bad place to try to treat something.

If he were mine, here's what I'd do...

If he's NOT licking and biting at it, I'd keep a very close eye on it for signs of infection -- redness, swelling, heat, pus, etc. If there's no infection and he's not aggravating it, maybe it'll start to clear up.

If he IS licking or biting at it, then I'd get some triple antibiotic cream (any brand, any pharmacy), and apply it VERY sparingly twice a day with a q-tip. You don't want him to be able to lick off the antibiotic. If you do try this, then weigh him daily, in the morning before breakfast, to make sure he's not losing weight, and watch carefully to see if he keeps eating. If he does stop eating or loses weight, get him to a vet for an oral treatment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.