Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How should I try and make friends with my pigs

E

eldude2002

How should I try and make friends with my pigs

I am at a loss its been 2 weeks and my pigs still run away from me when I attempt to pet them or take them out and hold them.

One of them comes out and smells my hand but then runs away so I am confused on how to break the ice so they will be ok with me and let me pick them up to pet them.

Any ideas ?

Re: How should I try and make friends with my pigs

just try to feed them treats like vegetables and hold it out to them and see if they will, venture out to eat it. if not, then you can, calmly pet them or try to and eventually they will get the idea that you aren't going to hurt them. its alright its only been 2 weeks or even if its been 2 months or something, just hold them both everyday, and give them both the same attention and love and while one is exploring the couch or something or counter or wherever you let them play spend time petting each one and talking softly to each one and reassuring them. Plus, giving them treats during laptime, like vegies and gaining their trust in you by food. Eventually they will take the food from you and know you won't hurt them, and you come with food. But everytime you hold them you shouldn't always give treats cause they will expect it and not quite get the idea of spending time with you.

if by any chance your pigs are jumpy, or react weird when you touch their fur them might have mites. depends on where you get them petstore pigs often have mites not all though. Just mentioning that. Although young pigs normally run around like crazy and popcorn, jumping in the air alittle and acting all hyper, that is normal.

hold them EVERYDAY and just spend 20 min with them in lap time well, if their young they are likely to go to the bathroom way before that. try 5 minutes at first and then move up with the time. everyday 5 minutes and then eventually, 2 times a day if you can and longer. If you do it all, they should become more tame.

Re: How should I try and make friends with my pigs

Give them time to remeber :D !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.