Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Brown spot in both eyes

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
It was hard to get a decent pic, so her eye is a little held open here. I'm worried that Luna and aurora's pupils/irises are perfectly round, but Stella's irises on both eyes look like they melt a little towards her nose. Like a brown spot just a hair lighter than her brown irises. Is this normal, or does it mean she has injured her eyes?
Brown spot in both eyes
other eye

Attachments

image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't see what you're talking about.

But it's not likely to be an emergency. I'd watch it for several days, and if it doesn't change in that time, I'd wait until her next vet visit.

You can also see https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html and see if there's any information there.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I see it but some of my pigs have that too. I just assume it's normal. They've never had any problems from it.

pinky

Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, the lesions of osseous metaplasia are white, not brown, as far as I know. They look like a film of calcium on the eyeball.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Stella is 6 months old. I think she has had them all her life, I probably just never noticed them before. They look kinda like this (best sketch) it doesn't look like anything from those links, just as though the brown of her iris is smudged. After getting home from class I noticed her biological sister Luna also has their smudge, but Aurora does not.
Brown spot in both eyes

Attachments

image.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.