Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Storage Areas Adding Storage Above the Cage and a Kitchen Area

TK9NY

Cavy Slave
So, for (early) Christmas i went ahead and treated myself to another piggie and an expansion to Pepper's cage so they have more room and it meets at least minimum requirements (it will be a 4x2). The new piggie will be out of quarantine by the weekend, and i'm hoping to have the expansion finished by then so i can do an introduction on my next days off (monday/tuesday next week).

I have two questions.

Number One: A kitchen area. In the "old" cage Pepper had the 2x2 open area and a 1x2 "loft" where her house was, and an additional 1x2 totally separate kitchen next to the main open area. With the "new" cage it will be a 4x2 and i was wondering... should i make the "loft" the kitchen? Or should i modify the coroplast i have now to make a 1x2 kitchen on the main level and forget the "loft" entirely?

I like having the kitchen separate from the rest of the cage because i use substrate in that (fleece in the rest). It really helps. Which would be better for her and her new soon-to-be buddy?

Number Two: My cage is an L-shape because i have a 2x2 block to the side of it for my hedgehog. That leaves me with only four usable sections underneath for storage. I had to remove my plastic shelving to expand the pigs' cage and while i put that in the closet and will still use it, i would like most of my pig stuff to be by the pigs. I would like to put some grids along the back half of the cage but there is no way it won't sag (possibly break) in the middle if i load it up with fleece or supplies.

How do i go about making that sturdy (remember, it is four cubes across!) without taking away their floor space in the cage itself? (IE putting a grid in the middle for them to run into lol). I saw a post of someone who used wood, would that work with a four cube width?

Any introduction tips would be neat, too, come to think of it - i've only ever done intros with rats and gerbils! They are both young (Pepper is 4-5 months and the new one is 3ish months), female, and have recently been with other pigs before i got them......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.